Club Spotlight: NTHS

Leni Schenkel, Staff Writer

NTHS

Though the GHHS chapter of the National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) has only been around for four years, this group of students has already made impressive contributions to their community. The club is for students enrolled in CTE courses and, as stated on their website, “honors the achievements of top CTE students, provides scholarships to encourage the pursuit of higher education, and cultivates excellence in today’s highly competitive, skilled workforce.”

Members work a minimum of 15 service hours and meet once a month with the rest of their club. “Our efforts revolve around service to the community. Every member must participate in a minimum of 10 hours in club sponsored service projects and 5 hours of independent service projects during each school year,” said Ms. Barone, the advisor of NTHS.

The national group was first formed in 1984, and today almost $250,000 in scholarships is awarded each year to its members. Students in the club must be upperclassmen who have completed a minimum of three CTE courses and have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.5. In our high school, the NTHS chapter has been involved in many service projects, such as the “Read and Feed Bookdrive,” the “Project Linus Blanket Making Project” and a project of providing gifts for senior citizens during the holidays.

With the GHHS division of the National Technical Honor Society, students enrolled in CTE classes now have the opportunity to be recognized for their achievements and services to their community. For more information, you can visit their website at http://ghhsnthswebsite.wixsite.com/nths.

Club Spotlight: NTHS