Cinco de Mayo: American or Mexican holiday?

Courtesy S Pakhrin, Wikimedia commons. National Cinco de Mayo festival, Washington DC, 2015

Angelica Edwards, Staff writer

May 5th, 2017

Often misunderstood as Mexico’s independence day, Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for May 5th), commemorates the day the Mexican army, lead by General Ignacio Zaragoza, defeated the French in the Battle of the Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War on May 5th,1862. The battle is celebrated due to the immense pride the victory gave to the Mexican people.

General Ignacio Zaragoza, Mexican General. Courtesy U.S. Library of Congress – Prints & Photographs Online Catalog

Ironically, it seems that the United States celebrates Cinco de Mayo more than Mexico does. Cinco de Mayo isn’t a federal holiday in Mexico, so all public building remain open. Celebrations include parades and festive activities,although;to many the day goes on without much thought for the holiday. Most of the celebrations for this holiday are concentrated in Puebla, where the victory occurred.

The holiday was introduced into the United States after Chicano activists promoted it in an effort to give Mexican-Americans empowerment. Even in the United States, the holiday is celebrated through mariachi bands, Mexican food, parades, and even marathons all over the country.

Mani Perez, Green Hope sophomore remarked that, “I don’t really celebrate [Cinco de Mayo] or see it as an extremely important holiday. My dad, who is Mexican, usually likes to go out and get Mexican food. In my opinion, anyone can celebrate Cinco de Mayo.”

Locally, this year will mark the 17th annual John E. Norman Cinco de Mayo 10K & 5K Road Race, held on Saturday May 6th in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Some contestants celebrate the holiday by dressing up in sombreros and clothing that is associated with Mexican culture. You can also expect several Mexican restaurants in the triangle region to have specials and festivities dedicated to the holiday.

Angelica Edwards, Student Life Editor

Angelica Edwards is a Senior, and has been writing for FNF for two semesters. She is the VP of the mock trial, Co-President of the Green Hope Food Ark, and the mellophone section leader in the band. She aspires to be a reporter, and writes for a publication outside of school, Ingress, a magazine written by teens, for teens.