National College Decision Day

Courtesy of Campus Basement

Courtesy of Campus Basement

Hailey Haymond, Staff Writer

Monday was the deadline.

While many incoming freshman had committed to schools months ago, the pressure was on for many indecisive students this weekend to decide where they were going to invest in an education for the next (hopefully) 4 years of their life.

The plethora of amazing in-state schools probably did make the decision process a little harder, but the deadline has passed and the stress of applications and impatiently waiting for decisions is finally over. There are tons of factors that go into choosing a college depending on each student. Whether it’s a big or small school, public or private, whether you will be accepted for in-state tuition or not, close or far from home, whether or not it has good sports, liberal arts or technical college, and most importantly, whether or not it feels like you belong there.

Senior Cheri Caggia is one of the students who took her full allotted time to decide her post-graduation plans. She decided April 30th to attend George Washington University in DC. I asked her what were some of the factors that went into choosing GW, and she gave a little insight into what she valued when looking for a college.  “My college decision came down to the wire and it was a really hard choice between some really great options. I was deciding between GW, American, USC Honors College, and UNC. I felt like I’d be a different person at each school I chose and I was worried of missing out of opportunities, being homesick, or not being able to afford it. I ended up picking George Washington University in DC for a fresh start and for the opportunities. I’ve been in love with DC and it’s the best place to be right in the action of what I love! It’s going to be a huge change, but I can’t wait to be there.”

As Seniors are ready to move on to the next chapter in their lives, Juniors are just beginning the college application process. Words of advice when choosing a college: make sure you remain in control for what you want, instead of following the college that offers the most money.

Realize that different colleges offer different environments, and go where you can be most successful; but most importantly, the most happy.

• National College Decision Day

Is Raleigh a PRIME Location for Amazon’s HQ2?

• National College Decision Day

Election Day Results

• National College Decision Day

Fuquay-Varina Basketball Bus Breaks Down

• National College Decision Day

Earthquake Kills Hundreds

• NEWS

NYC Marathon Women’s Winner

National College Decision Day