Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

Emma Markson, Staff Writer

Did you take Marine Ecology or APES and miss out on the field trip this year?  Un-shore if you should go on it next year?  Hopefully this can help you decide!

Out of the loop?  Basically, if you take one of these classes you have the option of going on this trip instead of going to school for a day.  There is a fee to pay, but you get your money back with all the fun and educational activities you do throughout the day (plus meals are provided).

Here’s how my experience was on the trip:

The day started off bright and early because we had to be at school at 5:45 am.  I didn’t mind waking up early for this trip, however, because I was much more excited for this than a day of school (also with a 3 hour bus ride you’ll have plenty of time to sleep too.)

The first place we went to is the aquarium.  We basically stayed there for most of the morning, and were at awe at all the different fish we saw.  We even got to see the dive show and a behind the scenes tour of the aquarium too!

After that, we headed to UNCW for a delicious pizza lunch followed by an activity of dissecting a squid (I’m happy we got to eat before or I would have lost my appetite).  Nevertheless, for the squeamish, like me, dissecting squids is much less “gross” than dissecting the pigs or fish you may have dissected in class (a lot less smellier too).

Next was the part I was most excited for, going outside!  It was a beautiful day so we were easily able to enjoy the afternoon.  We went to the docks to catch some foul, and I learned so many more different types of marine creatures.  We got to hold sea anemones and learn what a sea squirt, my new favorite animal, was (basically it’s a living water gun you can squirt your friends with.)  

After that, we headed to the marshes and beach to catch fish using nets.  Since it was a beautiful day, the water wasn’t even too cold, even in the middle of April.  Many people were fine getting in the water to splash around.  If you go on the trip, make sure you bring an extra pair of clothes!

As the sun started to set and our bellies started growling again, we went back to UNCW for dinner at their dining hall, followed by a tour of the campus itself.  We got to stop for ice cream on the way back home too!

If you’re considering going to UNCW next year, desiring to major in biological sciences, or just want to skip school for a day for a fun trip, I definitely recommend going on this trip next year!

• Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

Humans of Green Hope

Humans of Green Hope: Ms. Sharp

• Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

FEATURES

Officer Clifton Opens Up, Sort Of

• Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

Humans of Green Hope

Humans of Green Hope: Ms. Patetta

• Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

Behind the Scenes of The Great Gatsby with Maya Schroder

• Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!

Green Hope Teacher Pets

Marine Ecology Trip? Whale, Sure!