Club Spotlight: DREAM Club

A clenched fist is raised in solidarity for minorities.

Keith Tyler

Keith Tyler

Leni Schenkel, Staff Writer

Three years ago, three students founded a club in the hopes of making a difference in the world around them.

They started the DREAM club.

Since then, they have made numerous community contributions. The name stands for “Doing Right, Empowering All Minorities,” which is the aim of the group in their many service projects. The main focus of the club is to raise donations for refugee families through the making of Welcome Kits. These include bathroom and school supplies alike for displaced families.

I co-founded this club during my sophomore year with two other students: Azraa Ayesha (2015) and Kristina Nickel (2016). We started this club after witnessing rising tensions in war-torn countries (such as Syria, Burma, and Vietnam) in the news and media. We started working with World Relief Durham to help refugees coming to the area,” said Aaruba Ayesha, current DREAM club president. Students work with WRD to set up apartments for refugees in our area and learn how to help those in need. “Our overall goal is to spread awareness of the situation millions of refugees are facing worldwide. Oftentimes, students feel like there isn’t anything we can do because we aren’t adults, so we wanted to make this club a way for kids to directly impact the lives of others around us.”

For the past three years, members of the DREAM club have been working hard to better their community and raise awareness for refugee families. Their projects have helped countless people, and their work with WRD has changed the way members of the club view community service.

If their goal is to empower, then they’ve done that by helping those in need– one of the kindest things a person can do.

The DREAM club meets on Thursdays during the first half of lunch in Mod 2, Room 6.

• Club Spotlight: DREAM Club

Club News

Being Transgender at Green Hope

• Club News

Club Spotlight: Environmental Club

• Club News

Club Spotlight: FTA

• Club News

Club Spotlight: NTHS

• Club Spotlight: DREAM Club

Club News

Club Spotlight: Tutoring Club

Club Spotlight: DREAM Club