Basketball Soars Higher Than Ever Before

GH Basketball

GH Basketball

Abbie Daltorio, Sports Editor

Basketball season has come to an end after the boys fell to South Central High School last night in the Elite Eight.  At halftime Green Hope led 25-24.  At the end of the third the boys had fallen behind 43-35.  The boys tried to make up their deficit during the fourth quarter, but weren’t able to reach their goal.  After an intense fourth quarter, the boys finished just behind South Central with a final score of 59-50.  Senior, Will Harkins, and Junior, Ryan Shaffer, were a match made in heaven last night.  The boys kept assisting each other and were valuable on both sides of the court.  Shaffer led the team with 19 points, and Harkins added 13.  Alex Clinkscales had 7 points of his own and 10 rebounds.  

A lot of Green Hope fans made it out to the game, but South Central also had a large fan base.  The South Central student section, parents, and referees were all cheering for the other falcons…  The boys finished the season with a record of 26-5 and a SWAC Tournament title.  Ryan Shaffer led the team with points this season with a total of 472.  Will Harkins followed with 412 and Alex Clinkscales finished with 390.  Of the team’s 894 rebounds this season, Harkins had 147, Clinkscales had 146, Shaffer had 134 and PJ Fenton had 126.

The Green Hope boys played their hearts out, and it’s sad to see their season end.  These boys made up the best basketball team in Green Hope history.  Sadly, last night was the last game for seniors Will Harkins, Josh McVeigh, Conner Sutton, Brian Williams, and Alex Clinkscales.  These boys have been big contributors to the team this year and we’re sad to see them go.  The team had an incredible season and we are extremely proud of them.  

• Basketball Soars Higher Than Ever Before

Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball Bounces the Bengals

Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball Preview

Fight for 55

Panther Creek’s Postal Problems

Baseball

Falcons Finish Fight for 55

Indoor Track

Winter Sports Recap