GH Basketball Makes History

GH Basketball

GH Basketball

Abbie Daltorio, Sports Editor

On Saturday night, the women’s basketball season ended when the girls fell to Millbrook in the Sweet Sixteen.  The final score was 55-41. The girls ended the season with an impressive overall record of 14-2.  Kelly Fitzgerald, Nicole Colberg, Emily Wynne, Rachel Argabright, and Emily Schoeffler played their last game on Saturday, congratulations to the girls on their great run! Also, good luck to Fitzgerald next year as she continues her basketball career in college at Davidson.

The boys had better luck on Saturday night when they made history as they beat Cardinal Gibbons at home.  This is the first time in Green Hope men’s basketball history that the Falcons have advanced to the Elite Eight.  Coach Green commented on the team’s accomplishment, “It’s an amazing accomplishment to make it to the fourth round, especially since it’s the first time in school history.  The players deserve all the credit.  They play together as a team, and they play really hard.”  The Falcons held the lead for most of the game until the Crusaders made a comeback in the fourth quarter.  The game went into overtime and the Falcons played their hearts out to win the game with a final score of 71-67.  Will Harkins led the team with 20 points, Ryan Shaffer was just behind with 19 of his own, and Alex Clinkscales added 13.  The game was very intense including a dunk by Shaffer, multiple technicals, a huge block by PJ, and even a quick uniform change.  

The boys are now on an eight game winning streak and hope to continue that streak as they travel to South Central High School tomorrow.  South Central has an overall record of 26-1 and a conference record 12-0.  This will be a tough game for Green Hope, but the boys have proved that they can handle a challenge.  Green Hope averages 65.2 points per game, while South Central has an average of 61.4.  South Central has a higher average of blocks and rebounds, so their tough defense will be a challenge for Green Hope’s solid offense.  South Central’s only loss was to New Hanover with a score of 64-52.  However, Green Hope beat New Hanover in the second round of playoffs.  The game starts at 7:00 and hopefully Fegeley will be able to get a fan bus for the nest to take to the game.  The bus would leave around 4:30; follow @GHfalconnest for more updates regarding the fan bus, themes, and scores.  

xoxo

Mother Falcon

• GH Basketball Makes History

Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball Bounces the Bengals

• GH Basketball Makes History

Men's Basketball

Men’s Basketball Preview

• GH Basketball Makes History

Fight for 55

Panther Creek’s Postal Problems

• GH Basketball Makes History

Baseball

Falcons Finish Fight for 55

• GH Basketball Makes History

Indoor Track

Winter Sports Recap

GH Basketball Makes History