GH Hoops Hopes for Victory in Round 3

GH

GH

Abbie Daltorio, Sports Editor

Last night, both of the basketball teams pulled through and will advance to the third round of the playoffs.  The girls hosted Hoggard and were able to make a comeback.  At halftime the Falcons trailed by 6 with a score of 25-19, and at the end of the third they were down by 9.  After a strong fourth quarter by Catherine Holbrook and Kelly Fitzgerald, the team was able to chip away at their deficit.  The girls inched ahead of Hoggard with two minutes left and finished with a final score of 48-46.

The boys had a major upset against New Hanover.  Going into the fourth quarter the boys were also down but were able to pull through.  With 2.7 seconds the boys were tied, and Will Harkins missed a layup.  Jordan Bates-Williams was able to grab the loose ball and throw it up- the ball went in as time expired.  The boys finished with a final score of 63-61, with 26 by Ryan Shaffer and 13 by Will Harkins.  Coach Green is very excited about last night’s win, “They knocked us out in the second round last year, so it felt really good to get a little bit of revenge this year.  The guys played their hearts out and kept fighting until the end.”

We’re glad that the seniors have one more game to play and are able to continue their ring chase.  Tomorrow the girls will travel to Millbrook, and the boys will host Cardinal Gibbons.  The time of the girls game is not set yet, but the boys will tip off at 6:00.  Gibbons beat East Chapel Hill in an upset, so tomorrow both boy teams will be playing hard after coming off hot wins.  Come out tomorrow night to support the boys.  The theme is Beach Party!  Follow @GHfalconnest on twitter for more updates.  

xoxo

Mother Falcon