Swim Splashes to States

GH Athletics

GH Athletics

Kate Moore, Staff Writer

On February 4th, the men’s and women’s swim teams competed in the 4A Eastern Regional Championships. The men’s team took 1st place overall while the women’s team locked in a second place finish. The men have qualified 10 to compete in the 4A State Championship meet on February 10th including: John Healy, Connor Dalbo, Jesse Ssengonzi, Mitch Curlee, Jason Zhang, Jared Carter, Colin Cotter, Matt Asbill, CJ Spence, and diver Kenji Rollin. The women have qualified 8 to compete including: Sam Medlin, Regan Lawrence, Kate Moore, Katie Sanders, Rebecca Ssengonzi, Hannah Kota, and Lauren Medlin, and diver Sophia Ehlin.

Green Hope had two divers start off the meet right with an 8th place finish from Kenji Rollin on the men’s side and a 5th place finish from Sophia Ehlin on the women’s side. Although the men placed lower than usual in the double-point-scoring relays (2nd, 8th, and 5th), their strength in the individual events carried them to a first place finish. Sophomore Jason Zhang placed 3rd in the 200 IM while sophomore Mitch Curlee placed 5th and junior Connor Dalbo placed 6th. Freshman Jesse Ssengonzi had a blazing 100 fly snatching him a 5th place finish just behind junior John Healy with the 3rd place finish. Another outstanding swim by a freshman was Jared Carter who snuck into 8th place in the 500 free. The men dominated the 100 back with a first place finish by Healy and a 3rd place finish by freshman Colin Cotter. The 100 breast was also a strong event for the Falcons with a first place finish by Junior Connor Dalbo and a 3rd place finish by Zhang.

The women’s team took 2nd place in all three relays and had strong individual finishes starting with Senior Sam Medlin placing second in the 200 freestyle. Senior Kate Moore placed second in the 200 IM while junior Rebecca Ssengonzi grabbed 5th place. Sophomore Lauren Medlin took 4th in the 50 freestyle shortly before Ssengonzi took another strong finish (2nd place) in the 100 fly. Junior Katie Sanders also swam the 100 fly and took 7th place. The Medlin sisters, Sam and Lauren, both competed in the 100 freestyle and took 2nd and 8th, respectively. Moore won the 100 backstroke while junior Hannah Kota came in 7th. Sanders grabbed another 7th place finish in the 100 breaststroke.

The two teams will compete on February 10th in the North Carolina 4A State Championships, and the men’s team will have to put down some impressive swims to battle for a first place finish. The women will also have to move up with their placings to have a chance at finishing in the top 3.

• Swim Splashes to States

History is Written by the… Losers?

• Swim Splashes to States

Hijabi Doll Makes Barbie History

• Swim Splashes to States

Is Raleigh a PRIME Location for Amazon’s HQ2?

• Swim Splashes to States

Annual Mistletoe Market returns November 18th

• Swim Splashes to States

Election Day Results

Swim Splashes to States