Split: Movie Review

Emma Markson, Staff Writer

*Spoiler Alert*

A new thriller has come into theaters recently, becoming surprisingly successful –and for good reason.  With an amazing $40.2 million in ticket sales, M. Night Shymalan’s Split has become the highest grossing new film.  The second highest grossing film, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, isn’t even in close competition being about $20 million behind.

Split follows the story of three teenage girls who get kidnapped by a man with Dissociative Identity Disorder. The film achieves true horror by setting up a realistic situation and then pushing the audience to question what is possible.

There are many aspects of this movie that have aided its success, but the movie would not be the same without its star, James McAvoy.  In his outstanding performance, the actor gives life to the movie and his character– or “characters”.  McAvoy is able to accurately represent multiple distinct personalities and switch quickly between them.  McAvoy’s personalities range vastly from a portrayal of the charming childlike qualities of the “9-year” Hedwig to the intimidating stature of the villain, “Dennis.”  

Anya Taylor-Joy’s role as “Casey,” the main victim of focus, also contributed to the movie’s success.  Her character is well-rounded and the movie keeps you engaged by sharing pieces of her backstory in flashbacks, which give interesting insight on the character and why she acts as she does in the horrible situation she was thrown into.  

If you are a fan of thriller movies, this one is a must-see.  The film presents a creative plot that I have not seen anything like before.  Despite being a thriller, this movie still has some comedic moments, without in any way being presented uncomfortably in the awful situation, so it could appeal to a larger audience.  

Check out Split before it leaves theaters!

Ezequiel Torres

Split: Movie Review