Sydney Dowler Named to Freshman All-American Team

Sydney Dowler sets up Alexis Engelbrecht

Green Hope Volleyball

Green Hope Volleyball

Kate Moore, Senior Staff Writer

The Green Hope Women’s volleyball team shocked the community with an unbelievable season of 29-1 and a State Championship title earlier this year. This young team was led by freshman Sydney Dowler. Dowler was recently named to MaxPreps’ Freshman All-American Volleyball Team. Along with this honor, Dowler was awarded MVP in the championship game in November for her performance in securing the Falcon win.

When did you start playing?

I have been playing ever since I was really little. I would be in the gym with a ball when I was like 3, but I wasn’t on a team till I was 9. However, I practiced with my sister’s team when I was 8.

What attracted you to the sport?

My parents and siblings attracted me to the sport. Both of my parents played in college, and my brother played all of his childhood. I went to all of his games and all of my sister’s games, who is only a year older than me.

What was your favorite part about Green Hope volleyball your first year?

My favorite part of GHHS VB was the team. I loved meeting all the girls who are like family to me now because they are so welcoming and supportive. They are truly some of the best teammates ever, and I think they were a huge part of what made our team so good and fun. They were most definitely my favorite part.

How did you and the team approach the State Championship Game (what was strategy going into it)?

I think there are 2 parts to our strategy. There’s the mental part and the physical. I think our physical strategy was to play hard and play our game. If we play our own tactical game, then we can start to focus on how to stop them and what their strengths are. We focused on serving their weakest passer and getting them out of system. We also put our biggest block on their biggest hitters. Then, there’s the most important part of the game which is mental strategy. Before the game, we were goofing off– doing the mannequin challenge and listening to music. I think relaxing and staying calm before our games was very important. During States, we didn’t give up or get down after losing the first game, and it helped us greatly. We all have our ways to stay confident during games, and mine is singing in my head or even jokingly singing out loud to my teammates to give them a good laugh. During the middle of games, while the music was playing, I was hardcore jamming and singing along and doing the YMCA to get myself pumped and energetic.

What are your hopes and aspirations for the rest of your high school career?

My hopes and aspirations are to keep winning! Last year, we did finish 29-1, so it would be the best if we could finish 30-0 next year and go undefeated against PC. I don’t want to jinx us, but another state championship is always the goal!

Any college volleyball plans (where you might want to go)?

I am very unsure on college currently. I think I’m open to really anything at the moment. For sure, I want to go D1. I’m being looked at by colleges, but I think freshman year is too early to commit anywhere. Whichever school gives me the best offer is pretty much what I’m going for!

• Sydney Dowler Named to Freshman All-American Team

ARE YOU READY TO DELVE INTO THE DUNGEON?

Top Google Searches of 2017

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Ms. Bradshaw

Fashion

Fashion Friday: Justin Ho

Real or Fake Trees