The Hamilton Mixtape is Can’t Miss

The mixtape you didn't know you want, but the one you need.

Hamilton the Musical

Hamilton the Musical

Sonia Rao, Staff Writer

The whole world has heard of Hamilton– the hit Broadway musical that has broken boundaries and received stellar reviews from critics all over the country.  For those who aren’t in the know, the musical focuses on the life of America’s first treasury-secretary Alexander Hamilton, but rather with hip-hop, rap, and R&B rather than traditional Broadway.  Hamilton at its core has always been about the music, and this past weekend, creator Lin Manuel-Miranda released a mixtape that goes above and beyond, recreating the songs that made the musical so famous in the first place, and releasing a few demos that never made the cut.  It showcases the names of hit stars such as Chance the Rapper, Alicia Keys, Usher, Sia, and Queen Latifah, to name just a few.  These artists take Miranda’s original songs and turn them into their own, from the sweet, slow “Helpless” to the fast beats of “Wrote My Way Out” or “Satisfied.”

Some songs have political intonations, such as “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done),” rapped by Somali-Canadian rapper K’NAAN, Mexican-American singer Snow Tha Product, British-Pakistani star Riz Ahmed, and Puerto Rican rapper Residente.  The melodic “Dear Theodosia” is sung twice on the album, once as a crooning ballad by Regina Spektor and then an absolutely beautiful closing tune by Chance the Rapper.  Jill Scott’s sultry “Say Yes To This,” and Andra Day’s emotional “Burn” are additional highlights to the mixtape, in addition to The Roots’ version of the already explosive “My Shot” (no pun intended).  Alexander Hamilton’s history was a fast-paced story full of brilliant writing, and the Hamilton Mixtape honors his life just as well as any biography.

The Hamilton Mixtape certainly has both highs and lows.  However, Lin Manuel Miranda is something of a genius at making music, and he doesn’t let us forget it with this album.  For longtime fans desperate for another glimpse inside the show and curious newcomers alike, The Hamilton Mixtape is definitely not one to miss.  

• <i>The Hamilton Mixtape</i> is Can’t Miss

Music

Are You Ready for It? Taylor Swift’s Reputation to be Released at Midnight

Food

Spooky Treats!

Food

Apple Pie Bites

Fall Shows Cause Excitement All Over Green Hope

Behind the Scenes of The Great Gatsby with Maya Schroder

The Hamilton Mixtape is Can’t Miss