Green Hope DECA Club Grows

Lynne Chen, Staff Writer

Green Hope High School’s largest club consists of 383 members.This club is DECA, Distributive Education Clubs of America, an international association with over 3,500 high school chapters. Recently, DECA registration at the school has come to a close. Gokul Dass, the GHHS DECA chapter president, is eager to see what this large group of students will bring to this club.

What is DECA?

DECA is an international organization that promotes entrepreneurship and leadership. We empower students by giving them the opportunity to compete through presentations and role-playing scenarios in categories ranging from marketing to finance.

At the chapter, state and international level we host various events year-round and give our members the opportunity to participate in real-world scenarios to help them become college and career ready.

What is your position in this club?

I am the president for the 2016-17 year and am responsible for all aspects of student operations of the club along side our leadership team, which is made up of 12 dedicated DECA members!

What is the amazing thing that supposedly happened at Green Hope DECA?

In the past two years, the Green Hope DECA Chapter has grown its membership by more than 570% to 383 members. With the effort of our Leadership Team and previous members, we have been able to grow our chapter into the largest organization at Green Hope and one of the largest in the states. This year especially, we have exceeded our membership goals to outnumber the Panther Creek DECA Chapter for the first time in years by one single member!

Is there anything that you would like to say to all your members?

I would like to thank every member that joined this year and I am looking forward to a great rest of the year. I hope that this school can come together and offer their support to the Green Hope DECA Chapter going to the District Competition on November 30th!

Green Hope DECA Club Grows