Soccer Claims State Title

Green Hope Soccer Celebrates State Championship

GH Athletics

GH Athletics

Saturday night the Green Hope men’s soccer team crushed the Porter Ridge Pirates 3-0 to claim the Falcon’s third NCHSAA Men’s Soccer state title. Green Hope claimed a clean sheet against every team they faced in the playoffs. The Falcons finished the season 28-1 while ranked first in North Carolina and second in the nation.  The Pirates wrap up the year as the West
Regional champions and with a final record of 26-1-2, their lone loss coming to the Falcons.  Porter Ridge finish second in the state and 25th in the nation.

The first goal of the game came from Connor Munz in the 25th minute. After the first goal, Coach Corsbie was cautiously optimistic, “I was thinking good things after the first goal.  We were just getting started.”  

Minutes later Porter Ridge had an opportunity to tie the game with a penalty kick, but the Pirates shot sailed high into the stands. Then in the 32nd minute, Jacob Sciandra added another goal off an assist by Anthony Boswell.  The onslaught wasn’t over. The final goal came in the 75th minute when Will Dugger scored a header off Camden Holbrook’s corner kick.

Green Hope had many scoring opportunities and limited Porter Ridge. The Pirates only managed three shots during the game, while the Falcon had nearly twenty.  Porter Ridge had only conceded ten goals during the season, but the Falcons netted three goals.

Before the game a player from each team was awarded the Sportsmanship award. Isaac Oyediran deservingly received the award. Following the game, a panel of judges selected an MVP for the state championship. Senior captain Zach Curtis was selected.  

Corsbie commented on Zach’s achievement, “It was deserving no doubt about it.  It’s a team game and the whole team played great.  I think he really had an impact on the game.”

Going into the game Corsbie was very excited, “I was real confident.  As I finalized the game plan and strategies I was ready to go.  I was ready to put on a show.”  

At the beginning of the playoffs, Coach Corsbie said his goal was for the team to go 6-0, which they easily did.  And when the final buzzer went off, he reflected on his reaction, “I had a variety of emotions.  I was extremely happy, but sad that season was over and that I won’t coach the seniors ever again.”  

Corsbie reflected on the season as a whole, “Unbelievable.  It was an amazing journey.  It seems like we accomplished all the things we wanted to and fun doing it.  I had a great group of players.  The entire soccer community had a fun season.”  

The team had an incredible season, and has successfully finished their ring chase.  The boys are very excited that they were able to finish first in the state and second in the season.  The team had great talent, and Corsbie is optimistic about next year.  

• Soccer Claims State Title

Men's Soccer

Class of 2018 Commit: Camden Holbrook

• Soccer Claims State Title

Men's Soccer

Soccer Demolishes Jaguars in Dominant Victory

• Soccer Claims State Title

Men's Soccer

Tony Andreini Sets His Sight on Senior Night

• Soccer Claims State Title

Men's Soccer

The End of an Era

• Soccer Claims State Title

Men's Soccer

Falcons Beat the Peak

Soccer Claims State Title