GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

GHXC Focuses on Nike Regionals

GHXC Focuses on Nike Regionals

GH Talon

GH Talon

GHXC Focuses on Nike Regionals

Falcon News Feed, Staff Writers

On November 5th, the NCHSAA Cross Country State Championship lost by one point to Broughton High School. This was an especially stinging loss, as the entire team was riding a massive wave of confidence after previously defeating Broughton in the regionals a race which saw 5 of the top 7 runners set new personal records. The team plans to rebound and avenge their loss November 26th at the Nike Cross Country Regional meet.  

What were your immediate feelings after hearing that Broughton won?

Ian:

I felt sad, disappointed, and a sense of some responsibility for the reason that we didn’t win.

Daniel Vo:

I felt extremely disappointed, and thought about what I could have done better

Do you still consider this season a success and why?

Peyton:

While the season did not end on the high note, there were a lot of positives. We had the fastest team performance in history, a school record, and until states, we were undefeated in North Carolina. Overall, it has been a pretty successful season.

Finn:

Yes, as a team we have grown and even though we achieve all our goals, we have made huge steps towards them. And personally as a runner, I’m just happy to be out there showing what I can do, no matter what we get.

Obviously the Nike Regional is a race for a national spot, any goals there?

Nick:

To Have the best race of my life and  to make sure I don’t lose it for us like at states.

Daniel Vo:

We want to have a great race as a team and to beat Broughton, and get a spot at the national meet.

How often have you thought about what you could have done better?

Finn:

All the time. But I also use it as motivation to continue to give my all. I want to be as prepared as possible for whatever is next in this chapter of our running story.

Ryan:

It didn’t really cross my mind until states. This season was such a blur for me and the insane improvement that I had was something that I was really focused on. I had never been in a situation in my career such as the state meet this year where I was a major part of the team’s success. The close and upsetting the loss has weighed on me heavily. Running is a brutal sport in that regard; often times you can be left with regret, but there’s always another day, another run, and another race to go out and have no regrets.

Should Broughton be scared to race Green Hope in 3 weeks?

Nick:

Yes, I think so. We are working insanely hard. To be honest they aren’t the competition we are focused on for this race because we know we can beat them.

Ian:  Yes, they should be scared because we have a lot left to offer on the table.

What has been the key to all of this overall success you guys have had this season?

Peyton:

We honestly owe it all to our coach Jason Bochert, he throws himself into this sport with an enthusiasm that only encourages us and he plans our workouts and mileage and pushes us to our limits.

Reed:

Probably working harder this year, I knew If I was able to stay close to the front group in practice then I would be able to run a fast time in a race.

• GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

Western Cary Goes to Portland

• GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

Western Cary Track Club featuring members of GHXC- Portland Bound

• GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

Falcons Fly into States

• GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

Falcons Cross Country Crushes Records

• GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals

Catherine ‘The Spark’ Holbrook

GHXC Re-focuses for Regionals