Falcon Swim Teams Lap Competition

Kate Moore, Senior Staff Writer

On Monday, both the women and men’s varsity swim teams swept their first regular season meets. The teams were up against Apex, Apex Friendship and Middle Creek, and came out on top, 3-0.

While several key swimmers graduated last year, there were several impressive swims from first year swimmers such as Colin Cotter, Michael Moore, Jesse Ssengonzi, and Andrea Cornea. Cotter placed 2nd in the 50 freestyle and had strong contributions anchoring on the 200 freestyle relay and the 400 freestyle relay. Moore placed 3rd in the 100 backstroke with a 57.87, while Ssengonzi took 2nd in the 100 fly with a 55.18. Cornea stepped up and had a strong leg on the women’s 400 freestyle relay.

The women’s team won 8 of the 11 total events at the meet, and key leaders of the team were seniors Samantha Medlin, Regan Lawrence, Kate Moore, sophomore Lauren Medlin, and junior Rebecca Ssengonzi. S. Medlin won the 200 freestyle and 100 freestyle, and Moore won the 100 backstroke and placed 2nd in the 200 individual medley. Lawrence placed 2nd in the 100 freestyle and 2nd in the 50 freestyle. Ssengonzi won the 100 fly.

The men’s team also won 8 of the 11 events with key swims from juniors Nathan Pelt, John Healy, Connor Dalbo, and sophomore Jason Zhang. Pelt won both the 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle. Healy won the 100 fly and 100 backstroke, while Dalbo took the win in the 100 breaststroke. Zhang placed 2nd in the 200 individual medley and 100 breaststroke.

The varsity swim teams will hope to remain undefeated at their next competition on December 1st against Enloe, West Johnson, and Cardinal Gibbons.

Falcon Swim Teams Lap Competition