Senior Alex Etgen Reflects on his Falcon Football Career

55 Senior Alex Etgen

55 Senior Alex Etgen

GHHS Football

GHHS Football

55 Senior Alex Etgen

Kate Moore, Senior Writer

Tonight, the varsity football team plays Athens Drive for the final regular season game and will hopefully come out with a win to make the venture into the playoffs. Because tonight is senior night, the seniors will be celebrated for their well-appreciated time being a part of the state-renowned athletics of Green Hope High School. Inside linebacker and football team captain Alex Etgen offers his thoughts on what the the seniors are experiencing during this bittersweet time.

Are you happy with how this season has gone for the team? If not, did you at least enjoy your final season?

We could have been more successful if we had a little bit more time to develop our inexperienced players; however, I am very happy with how we have come along as a team and a group of close friends.

What was your favorite moment from this season?

My favorite moment this season was winning the Holly Springs game. It was a hard fought battle, and we were evenly matched teams. But, we ended up pulling out the win by 1 point. It was very hype.

How do you feel being captain of the team?

Being captain is more of a burden than many people think. To set an example for your teammates and lead a group of people the same age as you, it is difficult to know what to do in many situations, so my gut feeling is very important to me.

What are your thoughts going into your final regular season game of high school?

My thoughts about this final regular season game are ones of nostalgia and wishing we had more time to do what we love.

What is something you learned non-sports related from playing varsity football at Green Hope?

Some things that everyone says they have learned from playing sports are perseverance, commitment, dedication, and all the desirable character traits. Nobody looking in from the outside really knows how much sports matter to athletes that play them. To some, it’s a lifeline, to others it’s just something to occupy free time and make friends, but to the dedicated, it’s a way of life.

It’s a constant that keeps me together and something that allows me to let out all the stress of the school day, while being cheered on by my closest friends.

So, something that I have learned from Green Hope football would have to be how to hold myself to a higher standard, and how to conduct myself in a manner that reflects the values of a sport that I have grown up loving to give a large part of my life to.

• Senior Alex Etgen Reflects on his Falcon Football Career

FOOTBALL

Falcons Playoff Preview: Leesville Road

FOOTBALL

GH vs. PC Preview

FOOTBALL

Record Breaking Homecoming

FOOTBALL

NFL Week 6 Preview

FOOTBALL

Class of 2018 Commit: Blake Watson