Teacher of the Year is GAWsome!

Thank+you
Thank you

Thank you

Will Matthews

Will Matthews

Thank you

Daniel Vo

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there was a wise man students called Gaw. Known as the Man of Code, he became a strong force throughout the school.

Mr. Gaw is now the 2016 Green Hope High School Teacher of the Year. This prestigious award is given annually to one faculty member following a nomination and voting process by all GH teachers.  Mr. Gaw teaches computer programming, a new cybersecurity class, and is advisor to the Black Falcons. He edged out Ms. Poppe and Mr. Hrehor, both of whom are worthy of the title as well.

Gaw is a teacher who is able to connect with students. He is looked up to as a role model and as one who helps students further their success beyond academics. Black Falcon Bryce Patisaul commented about Gaw, “He’s a great teacher. It’s always interesting in class; we get to learn stuff we would otherwise never learn. We go off on different tangents; it’s very flexible.”

The FNF interviewed this year’s TOY recipient about his teaching career.

How long have you been teaching, and what did you do before?

I’ve been teaching for 17 years, 9 years at Green Hope. Before teaching I was in the field and even worked in TV and movie production.

What made you want to be a teacher?

Well I’m just a student like the rest of you guys; I just happen to have the papers saying I can teach. I love being around all of my students.  They are great kids and teach me just as much I teach them.

What have you learned throughout your years of teaching?

I have learned so much from my students. But by far, I have learned so much about this generation. When I was a kid, learning everything was so structured and fitted. Now students are learning twenty four hours a day. As a teacher, I have to be open to the new generation and give them the ability to be creative.

“Life is like a box of students, you never know what you’re going to get.”

-Forrest Gaw

What feeling did you get when you were announced as the winner at the pep rally?

Although I was a little panicked at first because it’s such a big deal, after all,  I am representing all the teachers at the school, I felt great because it’s such a great achievement for me after all these years at this job. I know what I do as a teacher and that I am a positive influence on students. However, receiving this award validates it for me. I feel everyone teaching at this school is incredible at their jobs and winning is amazing. I am so proud.

What did you do after you won?

I called my wife and said, “I got it,”and she said she knew I would; then I went to Tennessee to celebrate.

Will winning affect how you teach?

No, it won’t; I may change a few things here and there, but overall, I won because of what I’m already doing, so I will continue doing that.

Sam Petersen

Ms. Poppe, Mr. Hrehor, Mr. Gaw