Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Junior Harrier Sets New School Record for 5K

Peyton Barish made running history recently at the Great American XC Festival. This local meet at Wake Med Soccer Park attracts teams from the entire east coast from Rhode Island to Florida to compete on one of the fastest 5K courses in the state, and Barish made good use of the optimal venue. The junior ran a personal best of 15:26.7 for a 5k and broke the previous school record set by Bryan Spreitzer six years ago. 

I caught up with Barish after he accomplished this record-breaking feat to learn more about his running journey. His career began early on in 3rd grade when he competed in the mile for First in Fitness. He than ran at Davis Drive and was, in his words, completely average. Barish decided to take his running performance to the next level and took cross country more seriously when he came to Green Hope as a 9th grader. His decision to be more competitive combined with hard work, dedication, and the support from his teammates and coaches has allowed Barish to finally hit paydirt. This newly self-appointed fastest runner in Green Hope history is also ranked seventh in the state.

When asked about his favorite memory besides setting a new school record, Barish recalled when Green Hope placed 2nd at regionals, and he individually had finally broken 16 minutes in the 5K, a significant milestone. 

Barish will continue his workouts that consist of seven-mile runs at a six-minute-mile pace as he strives towards his next goal to be the fastest runner in the state.

• Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Western Cary Goes to Portland

• Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Western Cary Track Club featuring members of GHXC- Portland Bound

• Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Falcons Fly into States

• Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Falcons Cross Country Crushes Records

• Barish Hits Pey-Dirt

Catherine ‘The Spark’ Holbrook

Barish Hits Pey-Dirt