Uninspired #VIEWS

Image courtesy of OVO Sound, Cash Money, Young Money Entertainment

Alec Critser, Student Life Editor

Sorry, Drake fans, hate to break it to you, but VIEWS is not a great album.

Let’s start off by addressing the fact that it was MAJORLY overhyped. As soon as I saw @drizzy tweet “To the city I love and the people in it… Thank you for everything #VIEWS” along with the album cover, which garnered 160,000 retweets, I knew the album release was going to be huge(ly disappointing). Tweets regarding Drake and VIEWS were ubiquitous in the days before the album’s release; needless to say, Drake’s viral campaign for the album was very effective. Once the album was released, people were relatively silent about it. Was it because Drake’s limited release on Apple Music, similar to The Life of Pablo’s original exclusivity to Tidal, stopped people from listening to it? Or did people realize the album was not hype worthy?

The album feels overstuffed, too. 20 tracks and almost an hour and a half of mediocrity? No thank you. I realize Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly is similar in length, but there is a fundamental difference in the two albums that make TPAB’s length justified: it is sprawling, diverse, deep, innovative, creative, and brings something new and unique to the genre, unlike VIEWS.

While I liked the dark, moody production, the lyrics and songwriting are arguably the biggest flaws of the album. VIEWS offers nothing new or original lyrically from Drake.

Oh, Drake, you’re rich? You have problems with your exes and fidelity? You’re famous and misunderstood? We had no idea.

The lack of scope is the biggest problem with the lyrics. He brings nothing new to the table and ultimately lacks the lyrical depth of rappers like Kendrick Lamar and the humorous, oddball narcissism of Kanye West.

VIEWS is uninspired and, frankly, makes for an extremely boring listen.

If you’re looking for decent hip-hop and R&B albums in 2016, I encourage you to look elsewhere (listen to Anderson Paak’s Malibu or Kendrick Lamar’s untitled unmastered.) Getting a subscription to Apple Music is not worth it for this album solely.

It may sound like I absolutely despised this album, I don’t. I appreciate it for what is is: a very mediocre album that’s going to make Aubrey Drake Graham an obscene amount of money.

• Uninspired #VIEWS

Music

Are You Ready for It? Taylor Swift’s Reputation to be Released at Midnight

• Music

Thomas Rhett’s Life Changing Album

• Uninspired #VIEWS

Taylor Swift’s Bad Reputation

• Uninspired #VIEWS

Holiday Musicals Heighten the Happiness of the Holidays

• Uninspired #VIEWS

The Hamilton Mixtape is Can’t Miss

Uninspired #VIEWS