Green Hope Sports Update: 4/28/16

Women’s Soccer:

The women’s soccer team blew past Cary High School last night with a 4-0 victory. This win helped the Falcons officially secure their position as 2016 SWAC champs. The team was lead by sophomore Grace Wagner who had a hat trick in the 1st half of the game. Taylor Cammarata scored the other goal in the second half to bring their lead to 4. The Falcons now have an overall record of 13-1-3. Their next game is on May 2 against Middle Creek at home.

Men’s Lacrosse:

The men’s lacrosse team dominated Holly Springs at home on Tuesday night, winning 12-6 to improve to 13-3 overall and 10-2 in conference play. Seniors Nolan Paussa and Dana Kelly led the way with 4 and 3 goals respectively. The Falcons have one more regular season matchup before the postseason begins, and it’s a marquee showdown with powerhouse Apex tomorrow night at 6:30. The first time the Falcons squared off with the Cougars, it was a showdown of the two highest ranked teams in the state, and Green Hope lost by just one goal on the road. This time the Falcons will host and for seniors like Kelly, it will most likely be the last time playing in competition at home. The Falcons came close to knocking off Apex last time, and they will have the home crowd behind them this time. Kelly said the key this time is “we just need to finish, just need to finish it.” Come out and support as the Falcons look to take down the #1 ranked team in the state on senior night.

Men’s Tennis:

Senior George Edwards and junior Rohit Ghotkar won the SWAC tournament in the doubles category, and junior Ben Wayand was the SWAC runner-up in the singles category. The top four finishes in each category earned berths to regionals, and Green Hope will be well represented. Wayand and freshman Vivek Ramesh qualified for the regional tournament, and the pair of Edwards and Ghotkar will also advance for doubles.

“We beat the #2 doubles team on Panther Creek for the first time after losing twice before so it’s a huge confidence booster for us. Our #1 singles player Ben Wayand beat the #1 player for Panther Creek after also losing twice before so that was huge for his confidence too since he made it to the finals. Our #2 guy freshman Vivek Ramesh beat Panther Creek’s #4 guy to get to the semifinals handily which was huge. We are all advancing to individual regionals and playing our best tennis so we feel strong for the postseason,” comments George Edwards. He continues, “Even though we are polled at the number three team in North Carolina, we feel as though we are the best team.”