Cool Down with this Alternative,
Warm Weather Playlist

Back-sweat season is almost here.

Ladies and gentlemen, summer is approaching. Nature is blooming, seniors are dreadfully counting down the days until graduation, and all of the underclassmen have that impending feeling of doom that comes with finals slowly approaching them. The weather is getting hotter and hotter, with temperatures almost reaching into the 90’s.

Back-sweat season will be upon us very, very soon.

A change in the seasons also means a change in your attitude and what music you listen to. I know I’m definitely less inclined to listen to sadder songs when the sun is shining and birds are chirping outside. I have compiled a small list of songs for all of the alternative music fans to kick off the hot weather and ultimately get in that summer attitude.

“Gold Soundz” by Pavement

• This song is arguably the crowning jewel of Pavement’s excellent and influential discography. “Gold Soundz” makes you feel nostalgic (the first two words are “go back”) for better times, and it fills me up with joy every time I listen to it. The thoughtful, yet still fun nature of the song makes it one of the ultimate summer anthems.

“My Girls” by Animal Collective

• I am going to go ahead and start off by saying this song rocks. “My Girls” is a fairly accessible song from a very inaccessible and experimental band; it’s a fun, booming late-2000’s alternative anthem, with an incredible beat and production that could fill up a room.

“This Charming Man” by The Smiths (Hatful of Hollow version)

• Johnny Marr knew how to make a great guitar riff, and the riff in “This Charming Man” could be one of his best. The Smiths are a band often labeled as “sad” and “gloomy”, but it’s hard to make a statement like that after hearing the opening riff of “This Charming Man”.

“Kamera” by Wilco

• This song is one of the few songs of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, a fairly sad and dark album, that actually makes a good, mellow summer tune. It’s more toned down than the rest of the songs on this list, and it is best listened to while chilling out on a warm summer night.

“Cooking Up Something Good” by Mac Demarco

• Mac Demarco has been one of the kings of the alternative world lately. All of the twings and twangs of his guitar riffs are just so nice to listen to, and his music places you in a summer state of mind, no matter what season you may be in.

Cool Down with this Alternative,
Warm Weather Playlist