Green Hope Track Teams Make History

February 19, 2016

Green Hope High School's First Ever Men's Track State Championship Team

Pehr Family

Pehr Family

The men’s and women’s track team made Green Hope history last Saturday at the NCHSAA 4A State Meet. The men’s team was able to obtain their first ever State Championship, beating out other strong programs including Mount Tabor and Durham HIllside. The women’s team wasn’t far off, placing 2nd in the State, with the highest award the team has ever received at the state indoor track meet.

For the men’s team, the championship came down to the last few events. Green Hope closed with 49 points, edging out Mount Tabor who ended the meet with 41. The team was led in points by Jayquan Williams, Will Hoffman, and Henry Pehr. Green Hope earned their points from two second place finishes in the 4×200 and 4×800 and multiple high individual finishes. Jayquan Williams, in addition to running in most of the relay events, got 1st place in in the 1000m, adding 10 points to the Falcon’s score.

The Green Hope team secured its state championship with a 1st place finish in the 4×400 relay, the last event of the night. Henry Pehr was also awarded the NCHSAA Sportsmanship Award at the end of the meet. When asked about last Saturday, Senior Brian Huitt answered, “It was amazing to win the state championship our senior year and see the team’s hard work pay off. Both Henry and Jayquan carried the team on their backs by running so many events and it was a very exciting night for everyone.”

The women’s track team raced hard for a second place finish, only being beaten out by Southeast Raleigh. The team ended with 48 points, 24 of those points coming from Elly Henes. Pacing 2nd in four separate events, Henes was the most awarded female runner at the meet and earned MVP at the end of the day. Multiple individual girls and relay events for Green Hope also qualified for Nationals in NYC in March.

The Falcon News Feed • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in