Green Hope Wins Regular Season Finale

February 12, 2016

Senior Quavis Johnson scored a career-high 20 points as the Falcons defeated conference opponent Athens Drive 60-55 in their regular season finale at home on Thursday night.  

This game was close the entire way. The Falcons held a 1 point lead at the end of the opening quarter, at 16-15. Then, Athens Drive played stingy defense in the second quarter to hold Green Hope to just 7 points and took a 24-23 lead into the locker rooms.

After the halftime break, the Falcons started playing the offense we have grown accustomed to seeing from them of late, they rattled off 22 points in the third, and opened up a 5 point lead.

Both teams scored 15 points apiece in the fourth and the Falcons maintained their five point advantage at the final buzzer.

In typical Green Hope fashion, the offensive production was very balanced as 7 Falcons scored at least 4 points on the night. Seniors Drew Hegeman and Conner Redick both scored 8 points in their last regular season home basketball game at Green Hope. Junior Ryan Shaffer also added 8 points.

With this victory, the Falcons will finish the regular season in fourth place in the SWAC with an overall record of 16-8(9-7 in conference). Next up for Green Hope is the SWAC conference tournament. The Falcons will host a familiar foe in Panther Creek on Tuesday in the first round. After splitting the regular season series with the fight for 55 rival, this third game will be the rubber match that breaks the current tie.

Johnson commented this about the highly-anticipated rivalry game on Tuesday, “Panther Creek is a good all round team with big men and shooters. We need to play well defensively and make some shots to beat them.”

With the SWAC conference tournament coming up, Green Hope is riding some momentum and rounding into form at the right time.