Green Hope Falls At Cary

Timmy Leonard, Staff Writer

The Falcons traveled to Cary high last Friday night to take on the undefeated Imps. The Gymnasium was packed on senior night as the Imps looked to clinch the SWAC conference title with a victory.

Green Hope quieted the sellout crowd quickly by starting the game on an impressive 8-0 scoring run. Unfortunately, the Falcons would squander their early lead after Cary made some key substitutions.The first quarter ended in a 10-10 tie.

Cary entered the second quarter with the momentum and the home crowd behind them. The Falcons played tough on defense to keep Cary’s high profile offense relatively in check and entered the half trailing 23-17.

Cary then came out of the locker room and caught fire. They knocked down deep three pointers, had a couple electrifying dunks in the paint, and forced plenty of turnovers on defense. Green Hope continued to provide effort defensively but, it simply didn’t matter, Cary was not going to be denied. The Imps scored 38 total points in the second half and defeated the visiting Falcons by a final score of 61-36.

Senior Drew Hegeman turned in another fine performance as he led the team in scoring with 8 points on the night. After the game, Hegeman commented this about what the team needs to improve on, “As we near the end of the season, it is important for us to play team basketball for all four quarters of every game.” Juniors Alex Clinkscales and Will Harkins also played well, scoring 7 and 5 points respectively.

The Falcons are now 14-8 overall on the season and 7-7 in conference play. Green Hope now has just two regular season games remaining on their schedule, then it’s postseason time, or as Hegeman calls it “do or die time.” Their next matchup is Tuesday night at home vs another strong opponent in Middle Creek.