Women’s Basketball Dominates in Conference Blowout

Green Hope women’s basketball solidified their dominance in the SWAC last night with a 49-21 victory over the 7-8 Middle Creek. After starting off with a 14-0 run in the first quarter, the team didn’t back down offensively or defensively. The Falcon’s strong defensive effort limited Middle Creek’s scoring to no more than six points in a single quarter.

The scoring was led by freshman Nia Washington with 18 points, followed by senior Allie Winiecki with 16 and junior Kelly Fitzgerald with 10. Fitzgerald also dished out seven assists in the win. Green Hope pulled their starters in the fourth quarter, and every one of Green Hope’s 14 players to dress out got on the stat sheet with a point, a rebound, or an assist.

News and Observer sports writer Ian Pierno used the nickname “big three” to describe Washington, Fitzgerald, and Winiecki, as these three scored 44 of the team’s first 46 points. “Big three” has become a common term among prominent basketball teams over the years, most recently used to describe the 2010-2014 Miami Heat’s Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, as well as the Celtics’ 2008 championship team of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce. This year, Green Hope’s big three look to make waves throughout the SWAC and the NCHSAA.

The team is now 12-3 overall and 6-1 in the SWAC. They are ranked second behind Holly Springs, who are undefeated in the conference. The last time the team won a conference title was in 2013. Senior Tiffany Nguyen comments about the game. “We saw that we’re able to come out strong early on instead of just being a fourth quarter team like we have been in past games.”