Filed under Movies, STUDENT LIFE

Katniss Everdeen Returns to District 12

This holiday season is alive with excitement as Jennifer Lawrence becomes the girl on fire, Katniss Everdeen, for the last time in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2.

Over the past three years, young Katniss Everdeen from District 12 leapt from the well-written pages of The Hunger Games trilogy to the big screen. There, she commanded the attention of millions of viewers worldwide.

It was no surprise to Hunger Games fans when the decision was made to split the last book, Mockingjay, into two consecutive movies. This has become a common practice in the movie industry; producers take what little story is available and stretch it into a two-part movie to increase profits.

With Color Force and Lionsgate Entertainment collaborating to produce the series, the film turned out to be quite successful in both the eyes of the critics and the moneymakers. Making over $45 million on opening day, Mockingjay – Part 2 was not the absolute most successful film of the year, but it still attracted large crowds. The opening weekend sales added up to be just above $100 million, putting Mockingjay – Part 2 in 31st place out of the all-time highest weekend box office sales

Critics were pleasantly surprised at how well Mockingjay – Part 2 did when compared to Mockingjay – Part 1. The first of the two-part finale was said to be slow with little character development, and viewers saw the movie as simply another “cash cow.” However, the final film turned the Hunger Games series around, and it ended the trilogy in style through the nail-biting suspense that surrounded the overthrow of Snow’s oppressive regime.

• Katniss Everdeen Returns to District 12

Is “It” the King of Horror Movies?

• ENTERTAINMENT

Split: Movie Review

Fantastic Beasts Expands Potterverse

Movies

Captain America: Civil War Captivates (Spoiler Free)

What The Oscars Are Doing Right…
    and What The Grammys Are Doing Wrong

Katniss Everdeen Returns to District 12