A Review: The Martian

The Martian, a New York Times Bestselling book and cinematic box office hit, has captivated the masses with its witty humor and nail-biting scenes. Written by Andy Weir and directed by Ridley Scott, The Martian does not miss any of the nitty-gritty details about space and survival; it delves into them, creating a realistic and believable experience.

With a movie budget of $108 million, The Martian needed a successful premier in order to make a profit. On the night of its debut on Friday, October 2nd, the movie pulled in a solid $18 million; The Martian ended up making $54 million during its opening weekend. The projected profit for The Martian is set to rival big-time movies such as Jurassic World and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

As far as critics are concerned, the movie could follow the book every step of the way, but if the film doesn’t successfully entertain its audience, it is a waste of time. Overall, the movie received satisfactory ratings – a 93% from Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.3/10 from IMDb. Critics’ main concerns were over the slow survival of Watney and the overall lack of originality. Some critics from IMDb noted that Matt Damon played his part well, but the movie itself was simply a replica of Cast Away set in outer space.

The premise of the story revolves around an astronaut stranded on Mars. Played by Matt Damon, Mark Watney, a botanist with a winning personality, gets left behind on the desolate planet of Mars and is forced to spend every waking hour fighting to live. From the moment he wakes up alone to the moment he attempts to leave, Watney fights for survival against insurmountable odds. The movie does an excellent job at showing the world coming together for one common objective: saving Mark Watney from almost certain death. The suspense is highlighted through an amazing 3D experience; instead of being passive audience members, viewers become invested in Watney’s survival and escape from Mars.

The film follows the book closely, leaving out some small details, but still captures the essence of the story as a whole. For moviegoers who love suspense and outer space, The Martian is worth the price of admission.

• A Review: <i>The Martian</i>

Music

Are You Ready for It? Taylor Swift’s Reputation to be Released at Midnight

• A Review: <i>The Martian</i>

Food

Spooky Treats!

• A Review: <i>The Martian</i>

Food

Apple Pie Bites

• A Review: <i>The Martian</i>

Fall Shows Cause Excitement All Over Green Hope

• A Review: <i>The Martian</i>

Behind the Scenes of The Great Gatsby with Maya Schroder

A Review: The Martian