Qatar Pulls Out of OPEC

OPEC+Headquarters
Back to Article
Back to Article

Qatar Pulls Out of OPEC

OPEC Headquarters

OPEC Headquarters

Wikimedia Commons

OPEC Headquarters

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

OPEC Headquarters

Kaia Patel, Staff Writer

Qatar has recently announced their decision to pull out of OPEC. Made up of 15 countries, OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) accounts for about 44% of global oil production.  In January, Qatar will be leaving OPEC after 57 years to instead focus their energy source on harnessing natural gas.

Qatar is known for their abundance of natural gas, exporting about 30% of the global demand. As the biggest exporter of it, Energy Minister Saad al-Kaabi supports their decision by saying, “We don’t have great potential (in oil), we are very realistic. Our potential is natural gas.” As one of the smallest producers of oil in OPEC (only accounting for 2% of OPEC’s production), Qatar’s withdrawal will not heavily affect the oil market’s prices.

For the past 18 months, the surrounding Arab countries of Qatar have put the country under a diplomatic and economic embargo. Qatar’s energy minister maintains that the decision was not based on geopolitics, but this can be seen as another example of how relations of the countries in the Middle East are growing more tense.

No one can predict what the future will hold for Qatar’s energy production and their exports. If Qatar begins to use their energy potential in natural gas, will this influence other nations to harness their natural gas stores? Natural gas is a nonrenewable resource that should be taken advantage of, seeing as how oil and coal stores are declining rapidly. When taking into consideration the environmental degradation that oil and coal does to the world, natural gas and renewable energy sources are a viable solution.  These resources are our sources for future energy, and Qatar is taking a step to a more sustainable future.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross...