What Does Green Hope Look Like?

Ideliya Khismatova

Back to Article
Back to Article

What Does Green Hope Look Like?

Some of the favorite classes that students at Green Hope enjoy.

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

*Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the infographic and click on the TV icon to access the full version, and click escape to exit the full screen.*

You can also click HERE to access the infographic through the link if you’re on a mobile device.

Green Hope is very proud to have a very diverse student body consisting of so many clubs, so many different people, and many different cultures. All of this leads to the question: what does our student body really look like?

To answer this question, The Green Hope Falcon surveyed students about stress, the languages they speak, their favorite classes, how they think other students view themselves as individuals, and whether or not they play sports. A total of 458 student responses were recorded, and the results may or may not be what you’re expecting.

“It’s not exactly my grades that are stressful, but the fact that I have to teach myself practically everything,” said a sophomore.

A senior specified, “I would say I’m most involved in the arts.”

A junior stated, “Homework/grades are really stressful, especially with my job and extracurriculars.”

A freshman mentioned, “I feel as if communication for picture day is really poor at Green Hope.”

These are just four anonymous statements, and there are many others who share similar opinions, and others who don’t.

Another senior stated, “Green Hope doesn’t create stress in students. Students create stress in students.”

Regardless of where the stress is coming from, the data expressed one main point: Most Green Hope students experience a lot of it.

451 student responded to the question of how much stress they feel on an average day, 1 being very little and 10 being a lot on a scale of 1 to 10. 377 students rated their stress a 5 or above. 84% of students feel moderate to high stress on an average day.

Additionally, the biggest stressor for Green Hope students is grades, as 63% of students chose that it. Friends seem to be the smallest biggest stressor. This sounds about right, as many students stated how they believe that Green Hope is very competitive.

Favorite classes at Green Hope are all over the map. Out of the 436 responses, just about every class was covered. The most popular class is Theater with 15 people picking it as their favorite, followed by Speech, Art (general), Computer Programming, and Sports Marketing.

I wouldn’t have expected Woodshop to be so popular, but it got the same amount of picks as Honors Biology, 8. Orchestra, 11, and Sociology, 10, both have more picks than Honors Chemistry, 9. Few Math classes made it to the favorites list with the Common Core Maths getting the most picks among all maths.

Overall, the majority of classes chosen as “favorites” were humanitarian subjects and electives. Green Hope is often viewed by its students as a STEM-centered school, but by looking at the reported favorite classes, it seems that many students enjoy the arts and humanities more than STEM subjects.

When asked if the student felt they were athletically or academically inclined, 58% said academically, 16% said athletically, and 26% mentioned both.

Green Hope seems to maintain it’s athletic nature according to the data. Over 50% of students said they play a sport, either inside or outside of Green Hope. Referring to the inclination question, it seems that our students are active participants in sports, but don’t consider it their main focus. Perhaps the exercise is helping us become more efficient thinkers?

40% of students regularly use a language other than English outside of school. Many studies have linked knowing and using multiple languages to increased brain processing functions. This high number of foreign languages spoken may contribute to why our school is so academically advanced- according to Wake County, our school’s average SAT score is 1237.

Based on the data provided by Wake County, out of 2736 Green Hope enrolled students, a little over 51% are white. About 36% are Asian. The remaining 13% of students identify as either Black, Hispanic, mixed race,  Native American, or Pacific Islander.

The racial distribution at Green Hope is quite intriguing because we view ourselves as diverse. However, we are not as diverse as we think we are. We are predominantly white, and out of the other half that isn’t white, almost two-thirds are Asian.

Students were also asked to rate how much they agree with the statement “students at GH respect what I have to say” on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being strongly disagree and 10 being strongly agree.

The mode (most picked number) of students stayed neutral as 74 people reported 5, meaning they don’t agree nor disagree, but  347 of the 451 responses (77%) leaned towards agree. 21 students strongly disagreed and 28 strongly agreed with the statement.

Taking all of this data into consideration, the average person at Green Hope is white, quite stressed, especially by their grades, doesn’t regularly speak another language outside of school, plays a sport but is academically inclined, and has a humanitarian subject as their favorite class.

But as most people already know, Green Hope students are anything but average.

About the Contributor
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during...