Announcements 12/5

Daily Fun Fact: Millions of trees around the world grow where squirrels forgot their buried nuts.

FALCON FORTUNES

Media Center: Need help with research, writing, and citations? Visit the Research Help Desk in the Media Center before and after school, during lunch, or anytime with a pass, and ask a librarian for help. Link to Research Help Desk poster: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UHp0hqvSRikUk3za43B4B1WpthE8YoJE/view?usp=sharing

Men’s Varsity Basketball: The Men’s Varsity Basketball team is looking for any student or teacher that would like to help our team. We need someone to keep the scorebook at all of our games. We can train you so you do not need any experience. We will provide travel and 1 or 2 pieces of basketball gear to help us out. If you are interested please see Coach John Green in the PE office.

Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) – Information Session: Are you a Sophomore or Junior looking to explore interests through a prestigious program and experience life on Yale University’s college campus? Well, here’s your opportunity! Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is a summer academic enrichment and leadership program for outstanding high school students from around the world. If you are interested in being considered for this prestigious program, please attend the information session during A lunch on December 6th in room 2200. Questions about this program should be directed to Thusna Gardiyehewa at tsgardiyehewa@students.wcpss.net. Thusna is a student who attended the YYGS program last summer.

Career Development: Career Conversation with a Data Scientist On Thursday, 12/13 students are invited to attend a Career Conversation during A lunch in the Auditorium to meet Brett Wujek of SAS and learn about a career as a Data Scientist! Students who may be interested in this career area include those with a high level of curiosity and interests in one or more of the following – math, computer programming, data analysis, and statistics. This career area is growing fast and will be in high demand for years to come! Students earn tutorial credit by attending and signing in. For more information contact Ms. Barone at cbarone@wcpss.net

Club announcements

Badminton Club: Our first meeting will be this Friday December 7th during the second half of lunch in the auxiliary gym. Bring own racquets and birdies, if possible. Spread the word, and see you there!

Robotics: Looking for ANIMATORS! We are competing in a digital animation award based on technical expertise in animation. It must be a 30 second animation based on the theme of space. We would love to get some help in this project!

Magic Club: Do you want to become a star at a party? Do you want to impress your friends? Come and join the Magic club. The magic club is a place for students who like magic or interest in magic to meet up and talk. The club not only let students interested in magic to meet up but also teaches magic tricks for students who are interested. Come and join the club. I promise you won’t forget the experience. Come and join us!!!!!! Text @4f9dh2 to 81010 to sign up for remind for our meeting. * Here a community survey you can take if your interested * https://goo.gl/forms/WuarsStZVqNA06mW2

RAK: Are you interested in spreading kindness at Green Hope? Do you care about your peers and the community? If so, then RAK is the club for you. Fill out the link, https://goo.gl/forms/fTHzrFoXeM2EKXUX2 to join!!!

Green Hope Food Ark: Do you believe everyone should have equal right for food? Do you want to fight against food insecurity? Do you want to help maintain our school garden? If so, please fill out this Google Form if you want to be a member of our club! Link to Google Form: https://tinyurl.com/ycfyt3he Please email thefoodarkgh@gmail.com if you have any questions!

Book Club: Love to read and talk about books? Come join GHHS Book Club to hear other students’ recommendations and share your favorite reads every other Monday during lunch in the Media Center.

Mock Trial Society: The 2018-2019 NCAJ Mock Trial competition season is starting up again. If you would like more info on the tryout process, email schaturvedi@students.wcpss.net.

The Quiet Society (club): Green Hope is a massive school with so many individuals that have different backgrounds and cultures. However, regardless of the diversity Green Hope strives to create leaders that can benefit the community in years to come. Sadly, in our culture being outgoing and gregarious (all keen traits of a stereotyped leader) is regarded highly of, this could be uncomfortable, even disheartening, to a reserved student. Many of our peers fear to step out of their comfort zone, as well as leaving a mark in our school and community in a broader spectrum. In TQS, (The Quiet Society) our goal is to help our fellow introverts be able to have a support group. TQS strives to make our peers realize that they can bring extraordinary talents into the world! We meet every Wednesday during the first half of lunch in Mrs. Harris’s classroom, located in mod one room four.

Speech and Debate: Every Tuesday 1st half in rm 3306 the most inviting, stimulating, and interesting club meets. That’s Speech and Debate!!! We welcome everyone even if you’ve never been to a meeting before. No application needed!! We debate and talk about a lot of different topics including political, school-related, new related, or just silly ones. Remember Tuesday’s first half in rm 3306. Come join us!!!

Naturalist Club (not yet made, needs members): Explore Nature with the Naturalist Club! In this club, we will explore the Green Hope wetland, photograph interesting wildlife, and submit pictures to the iNaturalist citizen science project! Meetings will be after school on the third Friday of every month. To join, sign your name on one of the sign-up sheets posted on the boards in Rooms M3-04, M3-07, 200, 316, 3304, or 3322. For further questions, contact Ashwin Srinivasan at amsrinivasan@students.wcpss.net.

Ultimate Frisbee: Green Hope girls’ ultimate frisbee team is looking for girls who want to try the fun sport of ultimate frisbee! Absolutely no experience is necessary to play with us. We practice 1-2 times a week, in addition to playing in games and tournaments. Email tomcaptains@googlegroups.com if you’re interested in more information.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/