The Best Holiday Movies to Watch

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Best Holiday Movies to Watch

Festive lights celebrate the season.

Festive lights celebrate the season.

Silvio Tanaka (WikiMedia Commons)

Festive lights celebrate the season.

Silvio Tanaka (WikiMedia Commons)

Silvio Tanaka (WikiMedia Commons)

Festive lights celebrate the season.

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Grab some Christmas cookies and hot chocolate and watch one of these holiday favorites!

1. Elf

Elf is the perfect movie to get you in the holiday spirit! This film stars the hilarious Will Ferrell as Buddy. Buddy is a human-sized elf, who grew up in the North Pole with Santa Claus. He loves all things Christmas. When Buddy learns that he is not actually an elf, he travels back to New York City in hopes of finding his real father. Follow Buddy on his journey through the Candy Cane Forest and the sea of swirly-twirly gumdrops! You are sure to be in for some laughs!

2. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This movie is a Christmas classic that features the perfect blend of comedic and feel-good moments. Clark Griswold finally has the big family Christmas he always wanted, but he soon finds that family brings chaos. Watch Clark and the other Griswolds as they have difficulty putting up their Christmas tree and Christmas lights. The Griswold’s entire Christmas season becomes a struggle and will surely leave you laughing and wondering how anything else could possibly go wrong!

3. The Polar Express

This movie is a holiday favorite that will have you flashing back to childhood. The music in the Polar Express is a plus, including popular songs such as “Believe’’ and “When Christmas Comes to Town.” A young boy finds himself doubting whether Santa Claus and the Christmas Spirit really exist. He ends up on the Polar Express, a train heading to the North Pole. Along the way, he meets new friends and discovers what it really means to believe.

4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

You can’t beat the original Grinch cartoon filmed in 1966 that tells the story of Dr. Seuss’ famous children book. In this film, the Grinch decides to ruin Christmas for the spirited people of Whoville. He dresses up his dog, Max, as a reindeer and sneaks into the town to steal all of the Whos presents, decorations, and even the Christmas feast! To the Grinch’s surprise, the Whos keep singing and Christmas is still there. Watch this cartoon and find out if the Grinch ever finds his Christmas cheer!

5. A Charlie Brown Christmas

In this short but sweet cartoon, powerful lessons are taught as Charlie Brown finds the True Meaning of Christmas. Charlie Brown finds himself the director of the annual Christmas play, which does not go exactly as planned. He is told to pick out the Christmas tree for the center of the set and picks out an aluminum tree that may not be a favorite with the rest of the group. This heartfelt film is a must-watch, topped off with jazz music and a story of friendship.

6. Home Alone

This movie is perfect if you are looking for another humorous Christmas classic. Eight-year-old Kevin McCallister is forgotten by his parents when they leave for Paris, and he finds himself home alone! At first, Kevin is having the time of his life eating pizza and jumping on the bed, but he soon finds that his home will be threatened by two robbers. Kevin thinks fast and creates traps everywhere in an effort to protect his house. Will Kevin save the day?

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons,...