Fire At Cary Mosque

Firetrucks+and+members+surround+the+Islamic+Center+of+Cary.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Fire At Cary Mosque

Firetrucks and members surround the Islamic Center of Cary.

Joe Johnson, the News and Observer

Joe Johnson, the News and Observer

Joe Johnson, the News and Observer

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, November 16th, a fire damaged a mosque under construction in Cary. According to the Cary Fire Department, the cause of the fire was an electrical source. The fire started on the bottom of the building and was contained to the first floor, which was being built as a banquet hall. North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, Office of the State Fire Marshal, Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive were there to assist.

The mosque has been under construction for the past ten years, since 2008. Due to an Islamic tradition that forbids taking out loans with interest, the mosque is being built with money collected from members. In total, the mosque will cost about $4 million to build.

Before the fire, the Islamic Association of Cary, who spearheaded the building of the mosque, were almost finished with the banquet hall. They had hoped to start using the banquet hall within the next few weeks. The upper floors of the mosque were planned to be finished in a few months’ time.

According to a quote from the News and Observer, Amir Shakil Ahmed of the Islamic Association of Cary stated, “Our goal was to move in next summer, but now I don’t know.”

Senior Anadil Siddiqi, whose dad is on the board of trustees for fundraising for the mosque, said, “I’ve seen the mosque from when they first purchased the land, to when they finally cleared it, to when they started construction. They actually had a whole event where people from the community could place bricks on the property and I was able to participate in the event. It is heartbreaking to see ten years of hard work get set back.”

The mosque was expected to be completed in full by 2019. It remains to be seen whether this date will be pushed back.

Sonia Rao, Editor-in-Chief

Sonia Rao is a senior at Green Hope High School and the editor-in-chief for The Falcon. In her free time she loves to read and play ultimate frisbee—...