Is World War 3 Approaching?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is World War 3 Approaching?

A picture of a Russian warship docked in Crimea, where the Ukrainian ships allegedly attacked.

Olympus Imaging Corp. (Wikimedia Commons)

Bilal Azzam, News Editor

On November 25th, 2018, Russia seized three Ukrainian ships off the coast of Russia and Crimea. This has led to a state of emergency in a series of international organizations, as both the United Nations (UN) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) called for an emergency meeting on November 26th. So far, it has been recorded that two Ukrainian crew members were injured during this capturing.

Following these events, Ukraine claimed that Russian militia fired at these cargo ships during their seizing earlier that day. In order to justify their actions, Russia mentioned that these Ukrainian ships had crossed the border into Russian illegally, giving them the right to seize such ships. In the midst of these actions, organizations such the UN and NATO are attempting to reduce conflict between both nations. Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, also called for an emergency meeting with russian military leaders.

Effects of this event can and will be seen through a series of political tensions following Russia’s justification of their actions. During the days following this event, Russia had deployed new missiles to Crimea in response to the series of issues it had with Ukraine. Many viewed this as a not so subliminal message of military dominance. Both Trump and Putin were planning on attending a meeting later this week in Argentina, but Trump has thoughts of not attending. This may be due to the fact that the US is attempting to stay away from any intervention in this conflict.

This event can be contextualized to older events of political conflicts, such as the many international tensions during the events leading up to World War 1, and in events which played role in influencing the push of the second World War. Many have recognized these parallels, and there has been much speculation as to whether another war can break out if both Russia and Ukraine use a military approach.

As of now, the UN and NATO seem to have brought some peace to the situation, but Russia still has plans to deploy these missiles in Crimea by the end of the year. The risk of a war breaking out seems to have pushed many political leaders to aid in helping relieve the conflict. Currently, the US has no plans to intervene either. It’s no doubt that tensions are rising, and if problems aren’t settled peacefully, another war might break out in this lifetime. 

Bilal Azzam, News Editor

Bilal is a Junior in is his second year on staff. Originally from New Jersey, Bilal moved to Egypt
when he was six years old and spent 5 years in Cairo...