UNC Fires Coach Larry Fedora

Fans at Kenan Memorial Stadium will no longer see Fedora on the sidelines.

Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Larry Fedora was the coach of the football team at the University of North Carolina for seven years. He had a 45-43 overall record, and his record in ACC play was 28-28. During the last two years that Fedora coached, the team did not see the results they wanted, and winning games became a real challenge.

On Sunday, November 26th, the decision was announced that Fedora had been fired. Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham meet with the Board of Trustees and the chancellor to discuss the coach’s position and decided it was time to let him go. Cunningham met with Fedora Sunday morning and shared the news with the team Sunday afternoon. Fedora’s contract extended until 2023, and he was fired without a specific cause; therefore, Fedora still be paid $12.2 million over the course of the next four years.

When asked, Fedora shared his thoughts about his time spent at UNC: “I hate it had to end this way,” but it has been a “great honor to coach at UNC.” Fedora explained that he had hopes of making changes that would allow his team to win again, and he commented on how the results were not reflecting the commitment and effort put in by his players and the coaching staff. The coach stated: “I respect the administration’s position and understand their actions.”

There were some successful stretches during the seven years Fedora coached. In 2015, the Tar Heels finished 11-3 and advanced to the ACC Championship game. At the end of the 2016 season, the team finished 8-5, and the quarterback, Mitch Trubisky entered the NFL draft and was the No. 2 overall pick.

In the final two seasons of Fedora’s time spent as the head coach, the team struggled, finished the 2017 season 2-9, and the 2018 season 3-9. In 2017, the team faced injuries that held the team back, and the 2018 season was filled with angry fans and a frustrated team. There were speculations throughout the entire season that Fedora’s position would be evaluated at the end of the year. After the team’s loss in the final game of the year against NC State, Fedora’s future seemed questionable.

The University is thankful for the time and effort Fedora put into his job and all he brought to the team. In the meantime, fans, players, students, and staff wait to hear who the new coach will be for the 2019 season.

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Coral Aman, Copy Editor

Coral is a senior this year and it’s her second year taking the Falcon News Feed class. When she’s not running in the Cross Country or Track seasons,...