Wildfires Tear Through California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wildfires Tear Through California

Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

A hellish situation has rapidly arisen in California, as wildfires have ripped through the state.  Fires in two separate locations, located north of the San Francisco/Oakland area near a town near Chico and another north of Los Angeles, are spreading at a rapid rate.  

The more northern of the two fires, located near Chico, referred to as the “Camp Fire”, began in the wee hours of the morning on November 8, 2018.  In the past week, the death toll has climbed to 56 deaths, in addition to destroying over 8,500 homes and an additional 10,000 commercial structures.  Jonathan Valenzuela, a Junior at Richmond High School, which is located about two hours south of Chico, said, “Last year we had school cancelled for the Napa fire, luckily that hasn’t happened this year, but they’ve been emailing about it.”  The fire continues to burn, and has now turned northwest, headed towards Nevada.

Fortunately, the Los Angeles based fire has been less deadly to human life, resulting in only two deaths thus far.  This portion of the fire has been burning since the afternoon of November 8, and has destroyed just under 500 buildings.  However, the Hill and Woolsey fires are closing in on Los Angeles which is one of the largest cities in the country. The fires are currently located northwest of the city, near the suburb of Thousand Oaks, the same city that recently suffered the tragic mass shooting.

The Camp Fire has lead to more fatalities than any fire in California’s history, topping the Tubbs (Napa) and Thomas (Ventura) Fire’s of 2017. Many people have pinned this elevated level of destruction on substandard alerts from officials, compounded by the minimal concern that survivors of previous fires expressed upon hearing this warning.  The recent drought in the State has dried out the vegetation, making it more susceptible to the outbreak of fires.

Our thoughts are with the people of California, and to the families of the many brave first responders who have risked their lives to save others.

Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

This is Geoffrey’s first year on The Falcon.  He is an aspiring writer, who is now a Junior after spending two years at Green Hope already.  He is...