Ariana Grande’s “Thank U, Next” Song Review

Wikipedia

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Ariana Grande has done it again. She released a diss track that will go down in history, entitled, “Thank U, Next.” Grande released the song just 30 minutes before this past Saturday’s episode of Saturday Night Live, most likely as a retort to SNL comedian, Pete Davidson.

“Thank u, Next,” is a light and sweet pop song where Ariana reminisces on her past relationships. The lyrics are full of information about her exes, but the main difference that sets this song apart from other diss tracks is that the lyrics are just so thankful and nice. The opening lines to the song are, “Thought I’d end up with Sean, but he wasn’t a match. Wrote some songs about Ricky, now I listen and laugh. Even almost got married, and for Pete I’m so thankful. Wish I could say thank you to Malcolm, ‘cause he was an angel.”

Not only does she speak of her past loves, she speaks of what she’s learned from them and how she’s grown and learned from her mistakes. She says, “One taught me love, one taught me patience. And one taught me pain, now I’m so amazing,” showing all the lessons she’s learned over the years with them.

Nearing the end of the song, Grande transitions from talking about the past to how she’s doing now. She jokes about meeting someone else, saying in one verse, “ ‘cause her name is Ari, and I’m so good with that.” Her song is about how she’s currently in the most important relationship now- with herself.

Overall, this song is wonderful and relatable, and quite possibly sets the stage for all future diss tracks. Listen to the bop here!

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!