Announcements 10/29

Daily Fun Fact: There are no poisonous snakes in Maine.

FALCON FORTUNES

Career Development: Are you thinking about a career in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering? If so, you may want to participate in the ACE Mentor program, a multi-month mentor program in which students work in teams with professionals from the fields. To learn more, and possibly apply, visit this website: http://www.acerdu.org/enroll/. The deadline to apply is 10/31/18, but slots fill up, so apply soon! See Ms. Barone in 2203 with questions.

Career Development: Career-Related Remind Group Students are invited to join Ms. Barone’s Remind group to receive text notices about the following: – Career Conversations – Career Events – Internships – Summer Programs – Leadership Opportunities – Part Time Jobs To get reminders, complete one of the following: •Text @9k3ce to the number 81010 •Or via internet: go to rmd.at/9k3ce •Or on your phone’s web browser type in rmd.at/9k3ce See Ms. Barone in room 2203 with any questions.

Career Development – College Planning: Are you a junior or senior interested in taking free college classes while in high school? Check out Ms. Barone’s webpage for info on Career and College Promise at Wake Tech. https://ghhscareerdevelopment.weebly.com/wake-tech.html. All Jrs./Srs. who are interested must attend an information session at WTCC. The last info sessions for new students to enroll for spring are next week. See this link: https://www.waketech.edu/admissions-aid/career-and-college-promise/info-session

College Visits: Tues. Oct. 30 Seton Hall Univ. 8 am Liberty Univ. 9 am Centre College 1 pm Thurs. Nov. 1 Airforce ROTC 9 am UNC Greensboro 1 pm Friday Nov. 2 Furman Univ. 8 am Wofford College 9 am William Peace Univ. 1 pm

Modern Ink: A club for all burgeoning writers to express themselves, publish their work, and gain volunteer hours* for doing what they love. If you’re interested, join the mailing list: https://goo.gl/forms/078Q9oichXyR7Vt13

Club announcements

UNICEF: Join UNICEF club! This organization strives to aid and protect the world’s most vulnerable children through fundraisers and awareness projects! Interest meeting on Tuesday, October 30th in room 2312 during A lunch.

NTHS: NTHS meeting for all member only on Monday, November 5th in the Auditorium during A lunch.

Mock Trial Society: The 2018-2019 NCAJ Mock Trial competition season is starting up again. If you would like more info on the tryout process, email schaturvedi@students.wcpss.net.

The Quiet Society (club): Green Hope is a massive school with so many individuals that have different backgrounds and cultures. However, regardless of the diversity Green Hope strives to create leaders that can benefit the community in years to come. Sadly, in our culture being outgoing and gregarious (all keen traits of a stereotyped leader) is regarded highly of, this could be uncomfortable, even disheartening, to a reserved student. Many of our peers fear stepping out of their comfort zone, as well as leaving a mark in our school and community in a broader spectrum. In TQS, (The Quiet Society) our goal is to help our fellow introverts be able to have a support group. TQS strives to make our peers realize that they can bring extraordinary talents into the world! We meet every Wednesday during the first half of lunch in Mrs. Harris’s classroom, located in mod one room four.

Red Cross Club: There is an interest meeting for Red Cross Club during A lunch in room 200 on 11/1/18.

Students Helping Society: Students Helping Society will be holding their first meeting on Thursday, November 1st during 1st lunch in mod 4 room 4. More information regarding this new service club will be given at the meeting. We hope to see you there!

Speech and Debate: Every Tuesday 1st half in rm 3306 the most inviting, stimulating, and interesting club meets. That’s Speech and Debate!!! We welcome everyone even if you’ve never been to a meeting before. No application needed!! We debate and talk about a lot of different topics including political, school-related, new related, or just silly ones. Remember Tuesday’s first half in rm 3306. Come join us!!!

Mock Congress: Are you interested in politics? Do you want to pursue a career in government? Then join Mock Congress! Members of Mock Congress debate controversial issues, propose bills, and vote on legislation. The Interest Meeting is Thursday, November 8th, Second Half of Lunch in Mod-4 Room-4.

Envirothon: Are you interested in environmental science? If so, come join us this year as we learn more about the environment to compete at NC Envirothon. The interest meeting will be October 29th during A lunch in room 316! If you have any questions, email us at ghhsenvirothon@gmail.com.

Students Helping Society: Students Helping Society will be holding their first meeting next Thursday, November 1st. More information regarding this new service club will be given at the meeting. We hope to see you there!

GH National English Honor Society: Hello, Green Hope High Students! If you want college essay help and/or review, please take advantage of the expertise of the members of the GH National English Honor Society! Sign up on these dates, 10/23, 10/30, and 11/06 during lunch in the media center (back tables near non-fiction) to receive help, and if you cannot attend one of these dates, then you can contact me at greenhopenehs@gmail.com for more help at a personalized time with one of our members! Thank you, and good luck with your college applications! Sign up here!: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090E4BADA722A7F58 -college – Pauline Etchi, GH NEHS President

Naturalist Club (not yet made, needs members): Explore Nature with the Naturalist Club! In this club, we will explore the Green Hope wetland, photograph interesting wildlife, and submit pictures to the iNaturalist citizen science project! Meetings will be after school on the third Friday of every month. To join, sign your name on one of the sign-up sheets posted on the boards in Rooms M3-04, M3-07, 200, 316, 3304, or 3322. For further questions, contact Ashwin Srinivasan at amsrinivasan@students.wcpss.net.

Ultimate Frisbee: Green Hope girls’ ultimate frisbee team is looking for girls who want to try the fun sport of ultimate frisbee! Absolutely no experience is necessary to play with us. We practice 1-2 times a week, in addition to playing in games and tournaments. Email tomcaptains@googlegroups.com if you’re interested in more information.

Tutoring Club: Anyone who wants to be tutored or be a tutor can sign up at https://sites.google.com/site/ghtutoringclub/