The Greatest Showman Review

WikiCommons

WikiCommons

Alex Price, Staff Writer

The Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman released almost one year ago, and is a storytelling masterpiece. The acting from Jackman, Efron, and Zendaya was excellent, not at all what one would expect from a musical (no offense to musical fans). One thing this movie has received criticism for was the severe lack of historical accuracy. The movie completely neglected Barnum’s political career, but that’s what a writing team is entitled to do. Their job wasn’t to make a documentary about a man’s life, it was to make a beautiful story using music as a device to portray that story, and they succeeded immensely at that.

The story is not a very complex one, but it works and the songs very much add to it. While the movie mainly focused on Jackman’s character, P.T. Barnum, and his rise and fall in show business, the other characters also have their own realizations, like Zac Efron’s character. Efron’s character started as a member of the rich elite and, after a great song and some negotiating, decided to “live a little crazy” and join Barnum’s circus. All of the members of the circus have to deal with acceptance of themselves, as nobody on the streets accepts them. Again this plotline culminates in a musical number, the most famous in the movie, This is Me.

Overall, the movie was very good. The storytelling was simple and effective. It seemed to me like the writer saw the opening scene in the movie and wrote the rest of the movie based on what he saw, not knowing anything else about who Barnum was in real life. The movie showed us a child with the purest of goals, to change the world, and then took us on the journey of how his striving towards those goals corrupted him. We watched him lose everything he had worked so hard for and we watched him get it back. What a journey.

Alex Price, Staff Writer

Jacob is a junior at Green Hope. He wrestles for both Green Hope and Wolfpack Wrestling Club, and is an avid Fortnite player. Jacob enjoys movies, and said if he was stuck on a stranded island, he would wish to have all six seasons of the show “Lost” with him. Jacob would like to be an actor when he grows up (if success is guaranteed), because actors are able to experience many different roles, positions, cultures, and travel to many different places. His favorite food is Papa John’s pepperoni pizza, and his favorite holiday is Christmas. If he were dared to dye his hair an unnatural color, Jacob would choose hot pink, but he believes the color that best describes him is green. When asked what three words describe him, Jacob chose “Really cool person.”