Golf Soars to Third at States

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

On October the 22nd and 23rd, the Women’s golf team teed off in Pinehurst to take part in the NCHSAA State Championship. The tournament was taking place at the Pinehurst No. 3 course. Green hope came into this tournament full of optimism with a young group of four golfers. Sophomore Halynn Lee said, “We were really excited heading into the tournament. We had four golfers who we thought could take down both Reagan and Pinecrest.”

Anika Bhatnagar led the team in the first day of the competition, shooting a 79 on a tough par 70 course. Green Hope shot a 244, heading into the clubhouse placed third, behind both both Pinecrest anda Reagan. For individuals who do not know how the scoring system works, each team could send up to five people if they qualified. Only the top three scores from each team count and the lowest score wins. Green Hope had four golfers at the competition, meaning we would not use one person’s score in the final tally.

The second day was where the team champion would be crowned, and the Falcons came out flying for the state title. Halynn Lee shot a superb 78, leading Green Hope to a team score of 243 on the day. Lee was followed by Olivia Renville scoring 81 and Anika Bhatnagar shooting 84. The team ended the day where they began, claiming third place in the state. Reagan finished first with Pinecrest taking second place.

Third place is a huge result for a young Green Hope squad. The four competing at the state meet included one junior, two sophomores, and one freshmen. All of these members will be eligible to compete for another title next season. Lee said, “The four of us will be heading back to states next year. None of us are graduating so we are hoping to have the upper hand when next season comes around. Many teams are losing seniors, but we will be back with the same group.” Women’s golf has now officially ended their season and the team is already hungry for what could be a special 2019 campaign.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”