GH Weekly Wrap-Up 10/14-10/20

As the regular season for many sports is beginning to wind down, Green Hope is beginning to claim many crucial wins heading into the playoffs. Let us recap how the teams performed last week with a variety of impactful matchups.

Volleyball: The team picked up two wins to close out the regular season. The first came against Apex Friendship. The second win came in the form of a Fight For 55 point as the team swept Panther Creek 3-0. Green Hope prepares for their first playoff match on Thursday.

Football: The Falcons traveled to Riverside in a big Tri-6 matchup. Green Hope started out flat footed, taking a 12-0 deficit heading into the half. The team then showed up in the second half, scoring 13 unanswered points to win the game. The next game for the team is on Friday at home against Jordan.

Soccer: Green Hope acquired two more conference wins last week. Wednesday night was their Senior Night and the team won 1-0 over Riverside. The next win was a 3-0 victory over Athens Drive. The team travels to play Jordan today.

Tennis: In the first round of the dual team playoffs, the team swept Broughton 6-0. Then on Friday and Saturday, members of the team participated in the singles and doubles regional tournament. Singles players Rindha Sudhini and Alka Tomar both qualified for the state competition. In doubles, the duo of Reilly Major and Cynthia Xiao finished third. Sophia Gray and Anna Rico won the tournament. Both of these pairs qualified for states. The team takes on Apex Friendship on Tuesday.

Golf: Green Hope traveled to Pinehurst to participate in the NCHSAA Regional Championship. The Falcons were able to buy themselves a bid to the state competition which is taking place today in Pinehurst.

Cross Country: The Tri-6 Championships were last week for the cross country team and the men finished 3rd and the women finished 2nd. Both teams prepare for the NCHSAA 4A Mideast Regional meet this Saturday at WakeMed Soccer Park.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”