Movie Review: A Star is Born

Amelia Mendes, Staff Writer

Very few movie remakes live up to the expectations set by the success of their predecessors. Even less retell the story in a way that resurrects the plot, verifying it to be timeless. A Star is Born is the exception, separating itself from previous films while simultaneously paying homage to other talented actors who have told the story in the past, including Barbra Streisand, who starred as the lead in the 1976 adaptation.

The film was directed, produced, and adapted by Bradley Cooper, who plays Jackson Maine, a troubled country singer who suffers from alcoholism. Lady Gaga stars as the female lead, Ally, a waitress who has given up on her aspirations of becoming a professional singer until she meets Maine. Gaga, who has only begun acting in recent years, has been praised for her performance in A Star is Born, which is already rumored to be Oscar worthy. The album for the film has reached No. 1 on Billboard and has made Gaga the only woman to have five number one albums in this decade.

Although the film thrives as a results of the tremendous talent exhibited throughout the soundtrack and scenes, the story in itself is heartbreaking and addresses many delicate issues such as alcoholism, drug addiction, and suicide. Although it exudes quality and heart, it can undoubtedly be described as depressing. I would definitely recommend this movie and give it five stars, although I warn you, it may bring you to tears. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️           

About the Contributor
Amelia Mendes, Staff Writer

Amelia Allende Mendes is a junior at Green Hope this year.  She moved here four years ago from Miami Beach in Florida, but her favorite place in the world to visit is Costa Rica, because her grandmother’s used to be there.  Her favorite subject in school is drama, and she hopes to eventually receive a bachelors degree in fine arts from Fordham University.  She joined The Falcon this year because she feels that journalism is a great medium to express yourself and write about issues that are relevant to your peers.