Oscar Romero Becomes a Saint

Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Archbishop Oscar Romero was canonized yesterday and is now a saint.  Oscar’s story is one that has inspired many to act with love and peace in the face of suffering.  He was an archbishop from El Salvador who advocated against the government carrying out violent acts against the citizens.  The day after he very publicly condemned the army and leaders of the government and urged them to stop he was assassinated during a mass.  This earned him the title of a martyr in the Catholic church.

To celebrate, El Salvadorians paraded in the streets on Sunday and watched as the Pope canonized him.  Onlookers described the celebrations as joyous and the El Salvadorans were shouting, “Your people made you a saint.”  The Pope himself described Romero as a man who was close to the poor and knew the struggles of them first hand. This is shown in how those who knew him, remember him.  Maria Barrera, a women from San Salvador who was a member of Romero’s church recalls the way he put himself on the same level as his parishioners. She said, “If he was told that he would be given food that is better than the others, he never wanted it.  He wanted to eat what all the others were eating.” Romero is a selfless man who dedicated his life to helping others.

There were a few opposers to his appointment.  He was criticized by some as being too political and these people said that if he was appointed it would be an indicator of what political party the Catholic church supports.  During his time as an Archbishop, Romero condemned the right-wing military and government that were ruling El Salvador with cruelty and gave little thought to the average people.

Despite resistance, the Pope did canonize him and his transition in the Catholic church from a martyr to a saint is one that is will inspire many.

Anna Dunn, Staff Writer

Anna is a Junior and she is on the lacrosse team. She is funny but quiet and her favorite color is green. Anna likes to travel. She visited Argentina and Uruguay this past summer. She is also in the process of getting her Irish citizenship. Her favorite season is fall because the weather is nice and the trees look pretty.  Rocky, is the name of her dog which was named after The Rock, but she doesn’t like him very much.

She enjoys eating chocolate ice cream and her favorite subject is Spanish.