National Breast Cancer Awareness

October-is-National-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month-WikiCommons.png

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

The month of October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This annual international movement aims to increase awareness for breast cancer and funding for breast cancer research. The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to help people who are affected through early detection, education, and support services. This month is to support and inspire those affected, promoting awareness and knowledge of this disease.  

One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in her life. Because of this high rate, breast cancer is one of the top diseases affecting women in the United States. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for breast cancer yet, which is why early detection through mammograms (breast cancer screening tests) are necessary to rid the disease before it can spread further.

Many events around the world are organized in October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. From fundraising walks and runs to sports teams incorporating pink into their games, these events help promote breast cancer awareness to people. Many national landmarks, such as the White House in 2017 and the Tokyo Tower in 2007, are even illuminated with pink light during October for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Do your part this month by raising awareness about the value of early detection of breast cancer. You can do this to help by spreading the word about mammograms and strengthening people, families, and communities to get involved as well. Everyone can make a difference, and perhaps in the near future, a cure for breast cancer will be found.

Kaia Patel, Opinion Editor

Meet Kaia Patel. Kaia is a Junior this year. Over summer break she went to New York for
some sightseeing and time with family. She currently runs cross country for the school. When
she is not running, she is usually pretty occupied with her siblings, watching The Office, or
maybe listening to some T. Swift. Her favorite color is light green and she also loves to write for
fun, which is why she decided to join The Falcon. Kaia’s hope for this school year is to simply just
survive her junior year and also make it a good one!