Season Flavors Association

Back to Article
Back to Article

Season Flavors Association

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Whether they’re aware of it or not, everyone associates certain tastes and smells with seasons of the year. It’s really fascinating, how something so small and common can trigger memories and feelings. It’s even crazier how specific flavors specifically make a person think of a particular time of the year, every year. This concept is because taste buds in our mouth, and sensory cells in our nose entwine and work together to give the person an experience of taste.

Data collected from GHHS students proves that a lot of people have similar associations. The most popular winter flavor and basically the only one really considered was peppermint. The spring flavors were more fruity and fit for the weather being watermelon and strawberry. Watermelon carried on to summer too and was joined by lemon and pineapple; refreshing flavors. Fall was the most obvious of flavors and almost everyone associated fall with pumpkin and pumpkin spice. For each of the seasons the festivities are bombarded into the home with all the greeting cards, the shows on TV are fit to the occasion, and the grocery stores get filled with treats that give people a taste of how their feeling during the season. The months of September, October and November pumpkin spice is everywhere, just like Christmas music and lights fill the month of December.

Scientists and researchers are constantly discussing the connection between our memories, taste and smelling senses. As our world gets more advanced and information is more available than ever I encourage you to start exploring the simple things, like how random scents and flavors make you feel a certain way.  

About the Contributor
Kiera Kofkin-Hansen, Staff Writer

Kiera Kofkin-Hansen is a sophomore, and this is her first year taking Falcon News Feed. She took this class because she enjoys writing and English, and...