Teachers Beyond the Classroom

Audrey Compiano, Staff Writer

We all know our teachers as the people that grade our papers and give us seemingly endless assignments, but sometimes we forget that they have lives and identities outside of Green Hope High School. Who are they beyond the doors of their classrooms? What do they like to spend their time doing when they are not plugging grades into PowerSchool?

We asked a few teachers what they like to do in their free time and interests of theirs that might surprise their students. Here is what they said:

“What I like to do outside of school is investing my time in my children. So I like doing the homework, bike riding, watching them play soccer and making sure that I’m creating holistic men. An interest that I have that many may not know is that we like to go boating on the weekends, so we like wakeboarding, tubing, swimming even though Jordan Lake is flooded right now.” — English teacher Ms. Joyce

“I like to go to the gym… you know what I do? I take my daughter everywhere to dance. That’s annoying but… I have started building the little metal models where you take it and punch out the metal pieces and then you put it together and make the space shuttle and all these different kinds of things. I’m learning the guitar and I’m taking an online class on drawing and of course I always love to read. I already finished two books and I have six going right now.” — Math teacher Mr. Boland

“I love to garden. I keep a little vegetable garden and things like that in my yard and flowers and I also love to read. I don’t get nearly enough time to do it, but I do love to read… I love watching college football.” — history teacher Ms. Meadows

“I actually sell my art in downtown Raleigh. I’m part of a studio. That might surprise people but I usually tell my students. I play tennis, I play soccer . Art kind of takes up my time. I’m part of lots of different teacher groups and artist groups and things of that sort and so we get together and do all kinds of cool stuff.” — art teacher Ms. Poppe

“I referee soccer… I like camping, I try to go camping with my family. I help my son with his field work for his PhD. I enjoy hiking on the Appalachian trail. I also run; I do quite a few running events, so I’ve done a 200 mile relay which is from Raleigh to Atlantic Beach.” — gym teacher and coach Mr. Schoonover

When it comes to our teachers, there are usually a lot of things we do not know. We have all had that one awkward interaction in the grocery store when you realize they have lives unrelated to school. Creating these personal links to our teachers and staff helps us realize there is more to the people who stand in the front of the room. Go engage with your teachers and have a conversation beyond school related topics. Learn something about each other and create bonds… after all, you are stuck with them for a whole semester.

About the Contributor
Audrey Compiano, Staff Writer

Audrey Compiano is a junior at Green Hope high school.  She was born in Iowa, but moved to North Carolina as a child.  This is her first year on The Green Hope Falcon. In her free time, Audrey likes to work out and volunteer for Key Club and National English Honor Society.  In the future, she would like to become a published author. Her favorite class at Green Hope is Creative Writing I. She applied for The Falcon because she wanted to expand her different writing styles and was interested in trying other mediums of art.  She is excited to continue exploring different kinds of writing through the newspaper.