Sustainable Homes: The Bathroom

Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Take a long, hard look at all of the plastic that is in your bathroom. There’s probably a lot more plastic products in there than you were expecting. The unfortunate part is that all of these will end up in a landfill, and likely stay there for about 1000 years.

By using sustainable methods in your bathroom, you can significantly reduce the plastic waste that you produce. Here are a few tips to get you started.

1. Switch to a bamboo toothbrush. These toothbrushes are made out of wood instead of plastic, and biodegrade much faster than a regular plastic toothbrush. Check out this toothbrush on Amazon.
  2. Use shampoo and conditioner bars. How many plastic bottles of shampoo and conditioner do you go through in a year? A simple way to reduce the amount of plastic bottles you use is to switch to shampoo bars. These ones from Lush last from 60-90 uses. That’s a lot!
  3. Use glass droppers. Instead of buying a new product every time, get it in bulk and then pour it back into a glass dropper whenever you need it. This works especially well with makeup removers and oils.
  4. DON’T use paper towels. Simply use an old T-Shirt to wipe and clean things up. This applies in the kitchen, too.
  5. Make your own air fragrances. Do you have an old spray bottle that’s just lying around? If you do, great. If you don’t, wait for the one that you are using to end. Here’s a simple air freshener recipe. Pour some water into the bottle. Then, take your favorite essential oil and add a couple of drops to the water, until it is as fragrant as you like. Some of my favorites are orange oil and peppermint oil. Then, before each use, just shake it up and spray!
  6. If you absolutely MUST use a plastic bottle of any sort, there are a few things that you can do. The first thing is to clean it out thoroughly and then repurpose it. For example, in the photo above, I repurposed a hair mask to hold my pens and pencils. You could even decorate it and paint over it to create a box for literally anything you want it to hold. If you don’t have a use for it, then wash it thoroughly and recycle itWhy throw it away dirty when you can recycle it clean???

Remember: Refuse, reduce, reuse, reuse again, and THEN recycle.

About the Contributor
Ideliya Khismatova, Student Life Editor

Ideliya Khismatova is a senior writer who is in her second year of falcon news feed. She has one younger brother, one hamster, and enjoys to run during her free time. In the future, she wants to major in environmental science. Her spirit animal is a pelican because they’re majestic and they can fly. This summer she was able to go to a World Cup game to watch Spain vs. Iran. One interesting fact about Ideliya is that she speaks 3 languages. She can speak English, Russian and Tatar. Interesting enough she was born in Siberia. She thinks that the Green Hope community is a great place where people are very supportive. She enjoys going to chick fil a because of the fries, which happen to be her favorite food. If she could go to one place in the world it would be Norway because she wants to go skiing in the mountains.