Tennis Gears Up for Tri-6 Championship

Kohl Abrams, Sports Writer

Today, the Green Hope women’s Tennis Team attempts to defend their conference championship, as today marks the Tri-6 Tennis Individual Championship held at the home of the Falcons, the Cary Tennis Park. The team is currently 14-0 and is the favorite in today’s big match. The next top teams in the conference are Panther Creek with an overall record of 10-3, and Durham-Jordan with a record of 10-7

The way the conference match works, is that every team will send 2 singles and 2 doubles teams to compete. Each competitor, whether it be a single or double, is seeded and then will play a single elimination tournament until the champion is crowned. There will be both a champion in the singles tournament, and in the doubles tournament.

The two girls that will be competing for Green Hope in the singles bracket are Junior Alka Tomar, who is the number 4 seed, and Sophomore Rinda Sundani who is the number 3 seed. The two both have first round byes, and being on the opposite side of the bracket, they wouldn’t play each other until the championship game. In the doubles tournament, Green Hope earned the number one seed with the pairing of Junior Anna Rico, and Senior Sophia Gray. The Falcons second pairing of Senior Cynthia Xiao, and Junior Reilly Major is the number 3 seed, and like the singles, both will have first round byes.

The top 4 competitors in each bracket will move on to compete in the individual regionals that are held in a couple weeks. The hope is that both of the Falcons singles and doubles will make it and be able to compete at the next level.

The match kicks off at 12:45, and is expected to end around 6:00, so head out to the tennis park after school to watch your Falcons compete for a championship.

Kohl Abrams, Senior Staff Writer

Kohl Abrams is a senior, who is on his second year at the Falcon. He is looking forward to making a great sports section for the Falcon, and showing the whole school his work. Kohl is on the Varsity baseball team for Green Hope, and he plays travel baseball outside of school. He also works at the YMCA. He says his favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, because he can enjoy football, good food, and family time. His favorite place is the beach, and he enjoys going in the water. That being said, he doesn’t like the sand. Kohl’s favorite animal is a monkey, because they make cool sounds and they get to climb around all day. If he could only have one pet, he would have to have a monkey. He took this class again because he really enjoyed last year, and he values the relationships made in this class.