GH Weekly Wrap-Up 9/30-10/6

As some teams finished their regular seasons this past week, let us recap how the Falcons performed.

Volleyball: The volleyball team picked up two conference wins this week. The first was against Cary High and the second was against Athens Drive. The team has now improved to 7-0 in conference play. The next match for the team is Tuesday at home versus Riverside.

Men’s Soccer: The team started last week with a 1-0 win over Riverside. In their second match of the week, they beat highly ranked Durham Jordan 2-1. The team is undefeated in conference play and take on rival Panther Creek tonight at 6:30.

Football: In the first conference game of the season, the team picked up a huge win against cross-town rival Cary. The final score was a close 17-15 win for the Falcons. The team lines up against Athens Drive this Friday.

Tennis: Finishing their regular season, the team picked up two wins, a Fight For 55 point, and the Tri-6 title. Green Hope got a huge 6-3 win, claiming their second straight conference title. The team will be participating in the Tri-6 Tournament today at Cary Tennis Park.

Golf: The Women’s Golf Team closed out their season with 2 matches at Lochmere Golf Club last week. The team won both contests, claiming the conference title as well. The team will take part in the NCHSAA Regional competition next Monday (10/17) in Pinehurst.

Cross Country: The team traveled to Greensboro to take part in the Hagan Stone XC Classic this past Saturday. The boys came away winning all three events, led by Reed Blackman with a time of 15:58. The girls finished 4th in the varsity race, 2nd in the developmental race, and won the JV race. The team’s next big meet is next Monday (10/17) at WakeMed Soccer Park as they take part in the Tri-6 Championship.

Brandon Morton, Sports Editor

Brandon Morton is a senior at GHHS, working as part of The GH Falcon for his second year now. Seeing that he took it last year and found the class fun, he’s come to take it again. This year he’s looking forward to being the chicken mini mile champion for the second time. “I don’t think anyone in this class can compete this year and I think it’s an easy year. I’ve been working on my quick eating skills.” Outside of school, he runs Varsity XC and Indoor/Outdoor track. His favorite subject is math- he’s a big fan of calculus. His favorite animal is his dog Millie, whom he calls a “goober.” The Fourth of July is his favorite holiday where he gets to spend the day out and really show how patriotic he is. His favorite place in the world is Camp Cheerio, where he spent the summer. His dad inspires him the most, “he works really hard and tries to do the best for my family.”