On this Day in History: The Death of a Revolutionary

Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

In August of 2004, Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  The news was a shock to the entire world, as they came to learn that the man who had given them affordable technology was approaching the end of his life.  Unfortunately, on this day seven years ago, Jobs passed away.

Steve Jobs was born on February 24, 1955, but was given up for adoption soon after.  He grew up in the region of California we know today as Silicon Valley, a hub for high tech industries just south of San Francisco.  At the age of 15, he met the man he would take over the tech world with, Steve Wozniak. Following his graduation from high school, Jobs attended Reed College (Oregon), for all of one semester, before dropping out.  He was employed at Atari but leaves at the start of the summer to take a vacation to India. It was two years later, in 1976, that he began his march to the top of the technology industry.

On April 11, 1976, crowds hit the stores for the releasing of the brand new Apple I.  This computer, designed and marketed by Wozniak and Jobs, would forever change the tech world, and the way we communicate.  The Apple I was followed soon after by a slew of new computers from the Apple III all the way to the iMac in 1998. It was on June 29, 2007, that Apple released the iPhone.  The device had a virtual keyboard, a significant improvement over previously manufactured mobile phones. It had the ability to make quick transitions between the various applications the iPhone contained.  Apple generated over $200 million on the iPhone’s first weekend, after selling more than 700,000 units.

The company soon rose to the most valuable company in the world, when Steve Jobs died, it was worth approximately $10.2 billion.  The company recently eclipsed the $1 trillion mark, becoming the first private-sector company to do so. Jobs made sure his extraordinary wealth was used to give back to his community.  Growing up as an adopted child, he had profound affection and empathy for disadvantaged children. Acting on this emotion, Jobs’ widow began a foundation to help less fortunate children get through college, by pairing them with tutors, providing them with financial aid, and helping to find jobs after graduation.  

As his life was drawing to a close, Jobs’ physical condition deteriorated quickly.  He still served as the face of the company, however, attending ceremonies and the announcement of the iPad.  In August of 2011, Jobs passed the role of CEO to Tim Cook, who still holds that position today. Then, after seven long years of battling with pancreatic cancer, Steve Jobs died on October 5, 2011.  Over the span of his lifetime, Jobs had transformed technology from an exclusive good into something that the average person could afford. Steve Jobs was a revolutionary in his field, and we hold his memory in our hands every day.

Geoffrey Dean, Staff Writer

This is Geoffrey’s first year on The Falcon.  He is an aspiring writer, who is now a Junior after spending two years at Green Hope already.  He is looking forward to his favorite class, history. Some interesting facts about Geoffrey is that his spirit animal is either an eagle or killer whale, depending on the day, he is an oldest child, and does not own any pets.  Geoffrey enjoys pop music and will listen to anything that is playing on the radio. His favorite thing about green hope is the teachers, he has not had a teacher that he did not like, and he is a swimmer on the Green Hope team.